Blue Bird

Six-man pro
WV backer, I heard that WV's state champion discus/shot had decided to play crowded field. Is this true? Where will he be playing? Before hearing this I had WV playing for and winning the regional championship. Now, I'm not so sure.

Blue Bird,
Don't know any details but I can tell you that he wasn't playing last night in Robert Lee. His absence certainly hurts but what can you do? Grass is not always greener but you never know what's going on in a kid's life.

Well, Robert Lee is young and has a ways to go but we've got Garden City, Westbrook, and Borden County coming up and I'm sure we'll notice then.

WV backer, I heard that WV's state champion discus/shot had decided to play crowded field. Is this true? Where will he be playing? Before hearing this I had WV playing for and winning the regional championship. Now, I'm not so sure.
True he did decide to go play on the crowded field. We lost some muscle but we gained some speed.

I see that WV has Irion County this week. Will this game again be for 1and 2 in the district? Will Eden have enough firepower to get their nose under the playoff tent?

I don't think IC or Eden will match up well with WV. Both teams have to play at WV also. IC will probably be the tougher of the two. However, they have had a played an easy schedule so far where WV has played several top 10 teams. Same situation as last year.

You never want to look past anyone but I like the Wildcat's chances to go unscathed through district this year. It would appear that Mertzon are the second place team and sacrificial offering from District 14 to the May Tigers, however, Eden may have enough to get past the Hornets and take that beating in the first round. Whichever one takes the runner-up title is not gonna' like what they find under that playoff tent 'cause there's a big green Tiger waiting.

You never want to look past anyone but I like the Wildcat's chances to go unscathed through district this year. It would appear that Mertzon are the second place team and sacrificial offering from District 14 to the May Tigers, however, Eden may have enough to get past the Hornets and take that beating in the first round. Whichever one takes the runner-up title is not gonna' like what they find under that playoff tent 'cause there's a big green Tiger waiting.
You got that right!

Well it looks like WV took care of the point spread, but gave up 30 points in the process. Is IC better than some of your earlier teams that you played?
Eden also took care of their business.

Mertzon certainly came to play and, it took a while, but the WV finally wore 'em down and put 'em away. Let's not forget that Mertzon is ranked #20 and was 5 - 1 coming into the game. They're not as good as Westbrook but they are better than anyone else we've played.

You got that right!
A little humility goes a long way Tiger.

1st & 15, WV Backer, and Texas Tiger, my guess is that WV and May will tangle in the 3rd round. Where do you think this game will be played?

If we are fortunate enough to get that far (little doubt that May will), maybe Ballinger or Santa Anna? Winters maybe? We played a playoff game a few years back against Throckmorton in Early and, although the facilities were nice, I'd just as soon forget that one as T-Rock put a beat-down on us. I reckon Winters or Coleman can't be ruled out either. You never can tell though, sometimes geography isn't as important as the coaches being able to agree or field availability.

If the field itself is good at Ballinger Bearcat Stadium, that looks like a real six-man stadium. Fans are close to field. Looks like a good place for my vote which I don’t have a vote. Hope there are a couple of games in that area on different nights.

What would the primary things you would look for in a playoff site? The first thing would be a turf field. That is what you will play on at AT&T stadium, you start getting your kids used to the turf. Besides, adverse weather conditions are less likely effect a game on turf. The three sixman sites that would be between May and the teams west are Robert Lee, Blackwell, and Trent. Any of the three would be fine for a first round game, but for a third round game, capacity comes into play. You would probably expect 2500 and up at a third round game. So, would capacity be more important than turf? Would you drive further to get turf and capacity? Only the Coaches can answer these questions, probably after much discussion and maybe the newer zip code coin flip.

1st & 15, WV Backer, and Texas Tiger, my guess is that WV and May will tangle in the 3rd round. Where do you think this game will be played?
Hard to say really. The logical locations have been mentioned. I’m always surprised when the game is actually scheduled at another distant location due to unforeseen circumstances. I hope for Coleman or Ballinger. Some 11 man schools just don’t want to make the field conversion or staff a concession stand.

What would the primary things you would look for in a playoff site? The first thing would be a turf field. That is what you will play on at AT&T stadium, you start getting your kids used to the turf. Besides, adverse weather conditions are less likely effect a game on turf. The three sixman sites that would be between May and the teams west are Robert Lee, Blackwell, and Trent. Any of the three would be fine for a first round game, but for a third round game, capacity comes into play. You would probably expect 2500 and up at a third round game. So, would capacity be more important than turf? Would you drive further to get turf and capacity? Only the Coaches can answer these questions, probably after much discussion and maybe the newer zip code coin flip.
Turf fields have their pros and cons. Some are great to play on, others have torn players up. A good turf field would be best in preparation for Jerry’s world. Stand size does come into play. I would choose a good stadium with adequate seating over a turf field. A good natural grass field is as good or better than turf most of the time. Just my opinion.

Back