2018 D2 Preseason Rankings

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
Like I started for D1 yesterday, I will count down the top-10 plus team in Division 2 to begin the season. Honestly, the way I see it, there are about 6 teams that could round out that 9-15 range pretty easily.

Since I actually did a top-11 for D1, I will do it today for D2.

D2 Top-10+
11. Whitharral
10. Blackwell

Both of these were playoff teams a year ago and expect to be there again this year, however, Whitharral will have a tougher task to repeat, as they play in what I consider the most competitive D2 district in the state, along with Anton and Amherst. Only two of the three teams will make the playoffs and it should be a battle. Whitharral lost to both of those team a season ago and has a little ground to cover if they wish to play in the post season.

Blackwell looks like a solid bet for their district, although they could get a challenge from Moran. The Hornets looks to advance a bit further this season and build on last season's remarkable undefeated regular season

D2 Top-10+
11. Whitharral
10. Blackwell
9. Throckmorton

The Greyhounds return players in key positions and should be ready to make a move this season. Just how far they can get remains to be seen, but I expect at least to the second round of the playoffs is an attainable goal.

D2 Top-10+
11. Whitharral
10. Blackwell
9. Throckmorton
8. Anton

I alluded to the fact I believe this will be the most competitive district in the state in D2. Anton, Amherst and Whitharral will all three battle for playoff spots. I will ruin a little of the surprise, but I placed Amherst just behind these two, but all are within a few ranking points of each other. Amherst and Anton both topped Whitharral last season, but the Panthers should be right in the mix. Anton returns the most skill players and should be the outright favorite for the top spot.

D2 Top-10+
11. Whitharral
10. Blackwell
9. Throckmorton
8. Anton
7. Calvert

The Beast from the East. Historically a contender nobody really wants to meet in the playoffs, there isn't really a top-10 without the Trojans. The question always remains, can they put it all together. It seems like they always have the talent, but struggle when it gets the toughest in the playoffs. Much of this stems from them having to struggle getting a schedule that really prepares them for that deep run. This year they may not have a bunch of games on the schedule, but they have a three week run against Oakwood, Coolidge and Milford in weeks 5-7 that should do the trick.

D2 Top-10+
11. Whitharral
10. Blackwell
9. Throckmorton
8. Anton
7. Calvert
6. Follett

Just once in over a decade have the Panthers failed to at least reach the second round of the playoffs and this year should not be any different. With their nemesis Valley back in the other division this year, don't be surprised if this team reaches the state finals again. They certainly have the talent and experience.

D2 Top-10+
11. Whitharral
10. Blackwell
9. Throckmorton
8. Anton
7. Calvert
6. Follett
5. Buena Vista

The Longhorns move to D2 and success from last year should give them the confidence to compete with Follett out West. They return skill players at key positions and will get some early work, as they play three solid D1 programs, Rankin, Sterling City and Garden City, in the first half of the season.

D2 Top-10+
11. Whitharral
10. Blackwell
9. Throckmorton
8. Anton
7. Calvert
6. Follett
5. Buena Vista
4. Oakwood

After shocking the six-man world last year in the playoffs with their stunning win over Calvert, the Panthers have the goods to back it up a second year. They certainly have the talent to make the run, but this year they won't be surprising anyone.

D2 Top-10+
11. Whitharral
10. Blackwell
9. Throckmorton
8. Anton
7. Calvert
6. Follett
5. Buena Vista
4. Oakwood
3. Richland Springs

No Burkhart, no problem? I don't know about that, but you'd be a fool to think they weren't going to at least be heard come playoff time. Sure this is an enormous transition year for the Yotes, but I am not quite ready to say it all goes up in flames... too much tradition.

D2 Top-10+
11. Whitharral
10. Blackwell
9. Throckmorton
8. Anton
7. Calvert
6. Follett
5. Buena Vista
4. Oakwood
3. Richland Springs

2. Iredell
1. Strawn

Strawn at #1 is no surprise. The Greyhounds are a huge favorite to repeat as champs. Iredell at #2 may surprise a few folks, but the Dragons return a solid crew that put up some points last season. Remember, they beat Oakwood after Oakwood's win over Calvert. To put up a long playoff run though, the Dragons are going to have to improve dramatically on defense.

Back