2013 Don Hardin Texas Bowl

Very impressed with the game. You might expect an All-Star game in July to be a little on the bland side. Great hitting, good offensively and some good defense. Don would have enjoyed it. He probably did......................

Great game, impressive group of young men. Got to visit with some of Dons family, a very nice family. Met Cowboy, a very busy man. If you haven't seen Zephyrs stadium you NEED to, beautiful.

Public 78 Private 72

I would like to say thanks to all of the players, coaches and fans who came out to Zephyr last night. The kids and coaches had a awesome time. Many of thanks goes out to Zephyr. The facilities are outstanding, the administration, coaches, staff and booster club really work hard to make sure everyone's needs were meet The staff at Howard Payne was fantastic. They went above and beyond to make sure the kids where well taken care of. Our prayers go out to Thomas Roden. He was a very fun kid to be around all week long. Thomas is very entertaining. All of the 72 athletes who attended represented themselves well (Awesome Kids). It was also nice to have Hardin family attend the game in honor of Don Hardin. The basketball games were very well matched up. The slam dunk contest was very entertaining as well. We are going to keep this event going every year. Thanks again and as Don Hardin would say "Good Football to you"

Coach Burkhart

78-62 was the final score, and Coach Burkhart and the folks at Zephyr did a great job in putting this on! This All-Star game is going to a MUST SEE game in the future without question!

The kids played hard and it was a competitive game...It was great to finally get to see some of the best players in the Private Schools...man they had some talented kids!

And Prays go out to the Roden family and the Petersburg community as Thomas Roden suffered a bad injury right before half-time to his leg (early report was he may have broke his femur but thankfully he did not!)...if anyone can update on here how he is doing I know a lot of people are thinking and praying for him and a quick recovery.

And seeing and visiting with the Hardin family and seeing their joy in this event named in Don's honor...that was the best part in my mind.

-edited...thanks for the update on Roden Coach B.

I went to the hospital last night and Thomas did not break his femur. He did have surgery on his knee but I have not received the extent of the injury. As soon as I hear I will post what really happened.

Thanks

Update on Thomas Roden:

He had a dislocated knee that has been reset and there was no femoral artery damage. He will need to go to an orthopedists to assess if there is any ligament damage.

For those of you who could not make it to Zephyr for the games, you really missed out. That was truly the BEST OF THE BEST! The basketball teams were really well matched with awesome players and coaches. The football teams and coaches were outstanding. The Zephyr facilities and hospitality were the greatest! Jerry Burkhart coordinated the entire show and really made it the BEST OF THE BEST! Being centrally located boosted the attendence. A good crowd always makes the games more exciting.

Also, Football Defensive MVP - Eli Achilles of Bulverde Bracken

Offensive MVP - Chance Bush of Richland Springs

This was a fitting tribute to Don Hardin and his family.

PS - For those who are wanting to see it, I heard them announce that there would be DVDs available, to be mailed directly to you, for all of the different games by contacting Coach Burkhart.

Couldnt remember my old account from my playing days so I created a new one...
I was at the game supporting the red side and Wow!! it was a good game... alot more passing than when I was playing..also, Eli Achilles was out there tearing it up , at one point he truck sticked a kid for the blue side near the side-line and the crowd erupted..Hope that kid for the blue with the hurt leg heals up quick before college. Great game for the blue team seems like they stuck to the bread and butter basics and had the better team..Great game for both sides and hopefully will get many more of these in the future. Thanks for putting it on!

Leman Saunders":1zf47yb7 said:
now with all the game having been played...this matchup may have been the best.

Leman I agree. It was one of the classics. Would you post the availability of the game if available on dvd? I didn't pay attention to matters as well as I should have on game day.

Back