15 - 0 without playing a down?

Johnny South

Six-man pro
Could a scenario like that happen this year? Correct me if I am wrong, but the way I am understanding uil rules is that if one team member tests positive for the Wuhan virus, the entire team is quarantined for two weeks and would have to forfeit the next two games. The way I am seeing it is that a team could ride forfeits straight through the State Championship!? Yes or no??

The rule should be that the team is tested and all negative team members continue the season as scheduled.
Enlighten me!

District Executive Committee (DEC) Concerns and Game Schedules

Schools who cannot play non-district games for COVID-19 related reasons will not be required to forfeit those non-district games. These games will not be reflected in season records.
The DEC should meet to confirm Fall Sport (FB, VB, Team Tennis, XC) schedules, playoff qualifiers, and safety protocols concerning the 2020-2021 school year.
The DEC shall arrange a schedule to determine district representatives prior to the posted district certification date.
The DEC shall determine the place and/or time of district games in case of disagreement between two schools for both the regular season, games postponed due to weather, or disruptions in scheduled games due to COVID-19. The DEC should strongly consider schedules that allow for disruptions and for certifying district representatives in the event games cannot be made up. The DEC should develop policies to address games that cannot be played for reasons related to COVID-19 before district play begins.
The DEC may consider a district schedule that would allow district play to be completed prior to the District Certification Deadline. This consideration may include playing district contests in place of non-district games and/or building in open dates to account for season disruptions.
The DEC should prepare policies to address tie-breakers as well as certifying the district representatives in the event of incomplete district seasons.

So it seems that the districts can handle it ever how they see fit. But it still looks like it might be a coin toss or something similar (superintendents arm wrestling) instead of playing the game. Because if the quarantined team is out for the last two weeks of district play there is no way to make up games before the playoffs.?

The uil should have a rule in place letting the teams continue the season without quarantine for anyone who does not have the virus. In my opinion.

I believe your local health officials will be determining who, if anyone, needs to be quarantined. The UIL won't make those calls. But yes you could have some interesting situations that may have to be decided in a manner off the field such as coin toss or other.

jcarter":s3zgjya9 said:
I believe your local health officials will be determining who, if anyone, needs to be quarantined. The UIL won't make those calls.

Ok thanks. I was under the impression that any team with a member who tested positive was to be quarantined for two weeks. Leaving it in the hands of the county health authority should keep most teams on the field and playing, hopefully! That is great news!

Back