12 Mighty Orphans

PanhandleDave":cmlq66qu said:
If you have not read the book I highly suggest it.

One of the best football books ever imho. Though I'm prejudiced. Used to pass the Masonic Home every time we went to Possum Kingdom, then on the way back from Grapevine in the 1970's. And they used to play Strawn in the 90's.

I had the book setting on my shelves for years. Just seemed like a slog of a read.

I would recommend seeing the movie first, then read the book.

You'll be able to see in the book the specific scenes that you witnessed in the movie.

And having seen the movie, it made moving through the book pretty quick.

I read the book several years back out of the Tarleton library. I loved the movie enough I wanted to read the book again so I bought it. The movie does try to cram about 10-12 years into 1. No Corsicana state championship game. But I can't wait for it to come out on on Netflix or wherever.
Trivia. The first game Coach Lee ever coached the Strawn Greyhounds in was against the Fort Worth Mighty Mites in 2003. The Mites were 45'd 65-20. They were also 45'd by Gordon, and lost to Trinidad, Milford and Blum going 0-10. They quit playing football after going 1-9 in 2004.
More Trivia. The Mites did win a state championship. They moved up to 6 man in the early 90's to keep playing. In 1995 they won state, albeit with a four game schedule. FW Calvary, Godley, Waco Parkview (SF), and Shiner St. Paul (F). Not sure what classification this was.
Their last good season was 10-3 in 2001 against what Goob used to call church skools, with the exception of loosing to Gordon 36-15, then Granbury Happy Hill and Austin Regents in the SF.

Greatness! Bought movie off Amazon. I saw Masonic Home play in Trinidad just before they shut down,nobody Zero was sitting Might Mites side, wife and i sat on FWM side only to have two cheerleaders do their cheers. Somewhere in the sixmanfootball.com is archive of me talking about the coach of FWSH ...2004 or 2005?

Back