You Might Be a Sixman Football Fan If......

smokeyjoe53

Six-man pro
Having just returned home from a road trip through New Mexico and Arizona, (Thank You, Lord for iPhones and sixmanfootball.com mobile) I paused for a moment to collect my thoughts.
Naturally my thoughts the last 6 days have concerned driving fairly long distances, so I began pondering this (with apologies to Mr. Foxworthy):
You Might Be a Sixman Football Fan If......
You think nothing of driving 3 or 4 hours to watch a football game that may last 45 minutes.
Your idea of a balanced meal means adding cheese, onions and Jalapenos to your Frito Pie.
You don't have to explain to your boss (or your spouse) why you are taking off from work at noon.
The "High Crime" areas you travel usually involve speeding and game law violations.
You worry that traffic may be slowed by Homecoming Parades (that usually involve 1 or more tractors)
Forget about GPS, just look for the stadium lights.

Just a few random thoughts.

You might be a Sixman Football Fan if you have more friends on here than you do in real life.

Andy

PS Some of the greatest people I know I met right here on this site, thank you again Granger for making it all possible for all of us.

this is great.. been there done all of that,,, when i moved back to small town west texas had friends ask why? told them i wanted my kids to have same opportunities that i had growing up... caleb and kylie my kids have seen many more small towns and when we go through them today or are going to a football game somewhere they are quick to remember playing behind the stands or in the end zones of one of the fields.. if this isnt living the dream what is... they know how to say yes sir and yes mam but even more important why..... thank everyone who fights to keep this part of family life alive..

You might be a sixman fan if...(Copied from Sissylou) "Just say the word and we'll get the dozer out there to knock down all those pesky mesquite."

you know the UIL doesn't much care for us. but i'm dang proud of all of you who fight to keep this way of life alive. it hurts to hear of a small school closing how much blood, sweat, and yes tears were shed from th e kids, coaches, parents, and administration(on some). they dont keep the stats on our kids,,, makes me sad to know such history has been lost because of ignorance,,

anyway thank all of you for reading writing fighting loving small schools in texas

You might be a 6man coach/fan
if you have to look for a new job each year
because an uneducated board pres./supe. kid didn't play
QB, point guard, pitcher, and anchor all the relays.
Ooops.

...you know why the QB didn't sneak for the first on 4th and 1 foot.

...you cheer as loud for a PAT through the uprights as for a TD.

...you are surprised when there is NOT an onside kick.

...you have no idea where your kids are and dont even think about it.

...you dont ask if it is normal for the ball to disappear from sight for a few seconds on punts.

...(maybe TAPPS only) you play at least two district games against teams with the same mascot as you.

Even as old and disgruntled as I am,

I just can't describe the feelings I get when I top a hill or round a bend
and see those lights off in the distance.
For as long as that is stirring to my blood
I will be a fan.

...you remember 50 yrs. ago you had better be sure
your car battery had a full charge
because everyone's headlights
were part of the field lighting system.

...you had ever put great granny in the back of the old truck
and backed right up to the sideline
so she could watch.

...any concessions you got
came from home.

...you watched both games;
the HS game on the field
and the Elem. game behind the endzone.

rainjacktx wrote:
> ...you have to fill up the gas tank before you leave home because there is
> not a convenience store between home and where the game is.

From the farm machinery tax exempt gravity fed tank?

GSB wrote:

> ...(maybe TAPPS only) you play at least two district games against teams
> with the same mascot as you.

There used to be a district once where ALL the mascots were Eagles ... maybe one of the schools was the Golden Eagles.

I propose that TAPPS pass a rule banning the use of "Eagles" as a mascot. I was told that at Lifegate over 20 years ago, Falcons bearly edged out Eagles as the mascot. They should have chosen Rough Riders, because Teddy Roosevelt trained his band for the Spanish American war nearby along the Guadalupe River (there is a historical marker a couple miles up the road from us and it was very possible that he trained his troops on what is now Lifegate property).

I love the line about making sure your outfit is full of gas...

Here are some of mine-

-Its normal for an official timeout to remove a dog from the field and half the folks on the sidelines know the name of the dog.

-A 7-6 final score means that both teams stink

-You know you better eat at the game 'cause the only other eating place in town is at the bar that is closed on game nights.

-you listen to the game on the radio in your outfit while parked on the sidelines cause there isn't a PA system at the field

-you always bring your insulated cover-alls with you to away games and love to tell the story of WHEN I PLAYED IN A SUB-ZERO TEMP GAME (Only in Montana is it still considered a right-of-passage for all players to play on a frozen field in a blizzard or when the mercury is below zero at least once)

Back