Why the 6man Games Aren't Aired Live on TV

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
After talking with several different folks who are in the know as to the inner workings of Fox Sports Southwest, including Granger, I thought it would be a good time to lay out the reasoning as to why the 6man games aren't aired live on TV

Basic answer to why they arent aired live: The problem is the Fox crew is off site for 6man games and Fox workers are unionized, to have them live on TV like the others would mean they would have to have a full crew on site, plus the crew in studio producing it. This would mean about an extra 10 hours which means overtime per person for the onsite crew...so looking at about $25k total I was told. Plus it gives them a chance to try to push and use and work on their app/foxsports go

Now with that said....there is no reason why they cant be reaired on TV like all the other games (heck 1A state basketball is why not football)...everyone involved wants this as far as all the Fox Sports personalities go and they all have been asking questions and pushing for this...I think there is some big news coming about this aspect of it very soon...

One more reason to have them over 2 weekends.
2 Friday’s and Saturday’s and you get all the games in without having to have a afternoon we’d game.

Leman Saunders":27tpo9hn said:
After talking with several different folks who are in the know as to the inner workings of Fox Sports Southwest, including Granger, I thought it would be a good time to lay out the reasoning as to why the 6man games aren't aired live on TV

Basic answer to why they arent aired live: The problem is the Fox crew is off site for 6man games and Fox workers are unionized, to have them live on TV like the others would mean they would have to have a full crew on site, plus the crew in studio producing it. This would mean about an extra 10 hours which means overtime per person for the onsite crew...so looking at about $25k total I was told. Plus it gives them a chance to try to push and use and work on their app/foxsports go

Now with that said....there is no reason why they cant be reaired on TV like all the other games (heck 1A state basketball is why not football)...everyone involved wants this as far as all the Fox Sports personalities go and they all have been asking questions and pushing for this...I think there is some big news coming about this aspect of it very soon...

Then they should rotate or something! I really wanted to watch Milford and McLean, yet cannot go live because it is during a work day and cannot watch it on TV because Foxs Sports will not air it live or reair it! Fox shows the 6A state games like a billion times, ugh!

TebowTime15":vmlm0tvd said:
Then they should rotate or something! I really wanted to watch Milford and McLean, yet cannot go live because it is during a work day and cannot watch it on TV because Foxs Sports will not air it live or reair it! Fox shows the 6A state games like a billion times, ugh!

I think the same thing and even bounced a details plan I had off a few people, about having the six-man games as the middle games on Thursday and Friday and if one was mercy ruled and ended early you could just reair the Wednesday (or Thursday) night wrap up show to fill the space on air between games. But because 6man has the extra week off was told the UIL doesn't want to force 6 11man teams to play on Wednesday on short weeks. Plus you still have to pay the full onsight crew of a full day+ on Wednesday so you still have to deal with that

Also UIL likes starting with the lowest class and finishing with the highest class

Now no reason why they cant reair the 6man games on TV.

Not enough people care about 6man to justify them airing it and trying to generate revenue through the advertising. It’s all about money! Period! If enough people watched in order to justify advertisers coughing up money they would televise paint drying. Who’s gonna advertise?? Joe Bob’s Farrier Services out of McLean or or Billy Jean’s Rouge Chicken Catching Services out of Strawn?

Definitely need to re-air the games later, that or take our business to a better streaming service that doesn’t require a app or your tv provider to watch or even another network entirely.

bigbadwolf":2i4rm15d said:
Not enough people care about 6man to justify them airing it and trying to generate revenue through the advertising. It’s all about money! Period! If enough people watched in order to justify advertisers coughing up money they would televise paint drying. Who’s gonna advertise?? Joe Bob’s Farrier Services out of McLean or or Billy Jean’s Rouge Chicken Catching Services out of Strawn?

Maybe so, but it is only so because of ignorance. Sixman is a better game to watch and would be more enjoyable to watch on TV than 11 man.

bigbadwolf":xv4acejj said:
If it really is the 25 K Leman said, we can make that happen.

FCSA football":2sgk8x1l said:
bigbadwolf":2sgk8x1l said:
If it really is the 25 K Leman said, we can make that happen.

Probably so.
Oh....and I’m from a town smaller than both of those towns mentioned so I wasn’t making fun of them. Just trying to be funny. Merry Christmas all!

No offense taken. I’m from a small town too.
However if Leaman or Granger can hook us up with the right people now, we can start working on next year’s Championship Game.

FCSA football":k1c95fk7 said:
No offense taken. I’m from a small town too.
However if Leaman or Granger can hook us up with the right people now, we can start working on next year’s Championship Game.

I agree. Need to get it rolling now though.

It's the same old story as it has always been. Sixman football is not "real" football. Great strides have been made to improve the image, but some things will never change. I grew up surrounded by sixman towns, yet I never even saw a sixman game until I coached it. It is far more popular now, but far too many people still hold that it is an inferior product. I personally love it. I loved coaching it. I love that small town pride. But I don't think it will ever be considered "real" football. Just my two cents.

There is absolutely no plausible justification for no live coverage! The crews work the exact same hours on Thursday, Friday and Saturday! First games start at 11am. Last games start at 7pm/8pm. If I'm not mistaken, the coverage is paid for by corporate sponsorship anyway, prepaid, which is why the same commercials are played throughout the week. They have to be there for the Wednesday night game, so they're already coming in that day to work. And I know they struggle filling the time between the last sixman game and first 11 man game. However, wouldn't that be a great time to announce, and publicly recognize the academic all state athletes for volleyball and football, in all divisions? Heaven forbid us acknowledge the academic achievements of our student-athletes.

This is the same UIL that requires 1A to follow the same rules, and pay the same rates, but treat our kids differently when it's time for them to step and host their year end events. I've always hated when people refer to sixman as the step children. Step children typically get to go to the same family outings, participate in the same functions, and they're typically in those same family videos and photos. They're not brought to the event, and then told to stay out of the family photos and videos; only to be told they'll find a way to make them something different to commemorate their existence in the family! I guess my pride gets the best of me. Sixman is something that everyone deserves a chance to experience. If it's only a matter of $25K, why can't we get the sponsorships ourselves, and negotiate directly with FoxSports. Or at least request permission from UIL to allow NFHS to take over the live streaming, which is 100% better quality? They do it throughout the entire playoffs, and UIL doesn't decline their coverage.

The fox sports go app had the games available for replay the next day but after two days it disappeared, so now there is no way at all to watch them.

Back