What do visiting coaches look for when playing away?

coachsatcher

Six-man fan
Working on making some changes at Buckholts with the locker room arrangements. Curious if there is anything in particular visiting coaches look for? I know I'm more concerned with bus parking, key to the locker room, access to water and showers; but I've never been at another 6-man school, so I don't know what the expectations are.

My #1 concern was making sure the visiting dressing room wasn't pink.....
Back when I played (1960's) one school in our district had a PINK visitors dressing room, 1 shower, 1 toilet.....

good luck in ole' Buckholts, Since I've been keeping up with sixman football, I've noticed Buckholts has been looking for a coach every year....
Hopefully you can stay there for a few yrs, TURNOVER ain't good when trying to establish a program

coachsatcher":dlzmfc3u said:
I will also not be painting the dressing rooms pink.

Maybe a nice, soft mauve?

Seriously, especially with private schools you often don't know what you're going to get. Sometimes the "dressing room" is a few trees with a couple strageically placed SUV's and pickups. And I'm okay with that. Sometimes you have to deal with the facilities you have and do the best you can.

What I really want to know is what will be available. Water, ice? If it isn't, hey, I can stop by an HEB or a convenience store enroute and pick up a couple cases of H20 and bags of ice. If there is a locker room, it would be nice if the door is locked. Yeah, I know I don't expect somebody to come in and rob the locker room, but it happens. In fact, we give our visitors a key to the locker room when they arrive and get it when they leave.

If you don't have stands on the visitors side, let me know that too. I can tell the moms and pops that this is lawnchair stadium and bring yours with you. Knowing if restrooms are available isn't a bad idea, either ... that way, we can arrange a stop for nature calls prior to arriving. Same thing with showers -- we had a game on the road once where the home team didn't bother to tell us there were no showers available ; fortunately, we knew someone who coached at a local public high school and he came by and opened up their gym for a late night rinse.

Jordan Barker (Waco Live Oak and Baylor U. athletic facilities director) gave a nice presentation at our clinic on this last month. He said something to the effect that you should provide your opponent a "fact sheet" of facilities available and other important information -- such as if there is any restaurants nearby that could provide a post-game meal if you want (or arrange to make reservations for you if needed).

I never did understand why but most visitors toHHR&WPC&SWW seem to immediatly start looking for the fastest escape route...........

You know, one other thing ... if you are the visiting team and something isn't working (or isn't working when you leave), please let the home team know.

I remember one game where we played on the road ... terrible rainy weather ... home team had us dress in a fairly nice auditorium (no restroom, no showers). A couple days after the game, the school calls me and accuses us of leaving the room in a mess, with stuff left that let's just say if it had happened, I'd have strung a couple kids up ... anyway, the room was unlocked before, during and after the game ... I was one of the last to leave and although the room wasn't as clean as it was before (I did tell you the game was played in rain and mud ... the area outside the hash marks could have passed for a moat ... first game I thought we might need a boat to send in plays), it certainly was nowhere in the condition that the school accused us leaving the facility.

not a coach but as a player,
1st that the dressing rooms are clean
2nd bathroom facilities for guys
3rd showers
4th lockers
5th a training / taping table
6th marker board with markers
7th chairs/ stools / sitting area with the lockers
8th air conditioning
9th water / ice
10th trash recepticals (large)
11th on site contact person who can be the go to person for any needs with the facilities to medical etc
12th be able to secure the room / keys available for the coaches on a lanyard something easy to keep up with etc

Anyone in Central Texas can us a Dairy Queen, and they now will be open until 11pm. They will bill the school, if you fill out the tax exempt form; and most will deliver to the bus after the game or have cups of ice ready for the kids to make their own drinks.

We just reconfigured our locker rooms, so all visiting teams will have an air conditioned room with white boards, lockers, water cooler, benches, showers and private bathrooms. They'll also be issued a key, so they will have a secure location. Hoping this makes the visit a little more comfortable for visiting teams.

coachsatcher":fndj32ub said:
We just reconfigured our locker rooms, so all visiting teams will have an air conditioned room with white boards, lockers, water cooler, benches, showers and private bathrooms. They'll also be issued a key, so they will have a secure location. Hoping this makes the visit a little more comfortable for visiting teams.
Ok, coach ... I guess asking for you to spot us a two touchdown lead at kickoff would be asking a little too much. Sounds like a nice joint ...

Back