Very Quiet Offseason

The 11-man drops to six-man may not be over, we learned at TAPPSCON, after Ovilla and Northland are the two most recent ones to say that they're playing six-man this yar.

My guess is that they would have to play outlaw at this point. I know Coach Preston at Northland, who has gone there since Lutheran North closed and who I saw at the Six Clinic, is looking for games here on the board. It is all going to interesting to say the least.

I feel like this is a trend that is only going to continue. These underpowered 11 man schools are realizing they can actually compete in 6 man and they come down and usually run the table for the first couple years especially once they figure it out. I like it though, it breeds competition in the sport.

How is that possible, unless they left TAPPS for all sports? TAPPS doesn't allow being in a separate association for one sport. It's all or nothing.
Welcome of the TAIAO family the following organizations:

Arlington Heights Christian School (Corpus Christi)
International School of Texas (Austin)
Northland Christian School (Houston)
Salem Sayers Baptist Academy (San Antonio)
San Antonio S.T.E.A.M. Academy

From their July Newsletter posted on July 1.
One TAPPS school (Northland) and two T-CAL (Arlington Heights and Salem Sayers)

As of July 12, still on the TAPPS website as Non-Aligned in the realignment document.
Northland isn't a "johnny come lately" school. Were around in the TAPS days (1982), before TAPPS!
Just absolutely amazing - and disappointing.
Len Shelby was the AD in 1993-1994 that got me involved in private and parochial HS athletics.

Welcome of the TAIAO family the following organizations:

Arlington Heights Christian School (Corpus Christi)
International School of Texas (Austin)
Northland Christian School (Houston)
Salem Sayers Baptist Academy (San Antonio)
San Antonio S.T.E.A.M. Academy

From their July Newsletter posted on July 1.
One TAPPS school (Northland) and two T-CAL (Arlington Heights and Salem Sayers)

As of July 12, still on the TAPPS website as Non-Aligned in the realignment document.
Northland isn't a "johnny come lately" school. Were around in the TAPS days (1982), before TAPPS!
Just absolutely amazing - and disappointing.
Len Shelby was the AD in 1993-1994 that got me involved in private and parochial HS athletics.
TAIAO seems to be growing rather quickly. It must be pretty well run. It has overtaken TCAF and TCAL as the 2nd biggest association for privates.

TAIAO seems to be growing rather quickly. It must be pretty well run. It has overtaken TCAF and TCAL as the 2nd biggest association for privates.
I know one school that I personally spoke with last fall at a 5K race in Cypress was leaving (and has left). Their specific example is that they went to the Nike Cross South Regionals in The Woodlands the third weekend of November as their XC "state meet" because the TAIAO state meet wasn't administered well. I haven't been to the TAIAO meet so I can't speak personally. Some of the homeschool organizations that are a part of TAIAO will run both meets - TAIAO and Homeschool (which has been in Tomball the last few years as it is put on by Houston Homeschool Mavericks).

TAPPS, as expected, is the best in pushing information out. SPC updates their championship information on their web site timely, but doesn't push information out via Twitter, etc. The schools do that for their own fan bases. T-CAL posts brackets and such - and other information such as videos, et. al. - in a semi-real time basis via its Facebook page, but if I'm trying to reproduce a full bracket: Impossible. I've tried in an effort to be equal to all organizations. You have to go to the TCAF website to see brackets. They do some posting to their Facebook site, but nothing to report on and share real-time. They do not post that information timely nor score updates to their Facebook page. I've not seen any regular push of information out of TAIAO. Homeschool is a hodge podge ... just have to know where to go ... as there's no central driving force. Each sport kind of has its own.

XC and TF results get posted by the timers to Mile Split and/or Athletic Net, and they're all about even.

TCSAAL does a good job updating its website on a timely basis for its championship events, as they are one of two offerings, including HCAL (Honor Charter Athletic League), which doesn't have schools that play football).

Back