Heath Fulton (2-0) 38.59
Granbury Cornerstone (2-0) 38.58
Kopperl (0-2) 38.36
O'Donnell (1-1) 37.83
Dallas Fairhill (1-1) 35.6
Huntsville Alpha Omega (0-2) 33.29
Iredell (1-1) 31.84
Magnolia Legacy Prep (1-1) 31.81

OK, these teams are heading upwards and onwards...

Clearly the most glaringly underrated team so far is Dallas Covenant. Lost one starter from last years state champ team, the kicker, a team that beat Valley and Throck last year. Starting them anywhere below the top 3 overall is an insult.

Who has Crosby Victory and Praise played?

Who did this "Good Samaritan" team beat? a JV?

Huntsville Alpha Omega is (0-2) and is underrated?

Forgive me, I don't understand.

Count Coog":3lbgssu3 said:
Who has Crosby Victory and Praise played?

Who did this "Good Samaritan" team beat? a JV?

Huntsville Alpha Omega is (0-2) and is underrated?

Forgive me, I don't understand.

Hold your horses, friend. Give this a couple more weeks (maybe by week 5) and the quality teams will sort themselves out. Right now, an unexpected win or loss vs "the spread" helps or hurts you. While I'm not an expert on Granger's toy, the way I understand it, how well your opponents do makes a lot of difference as the season progresses.

And you'll win a few in the meantime.

The game is still played on the field. All this "on paper" stuff is for personal entertainment purposes only.

Longhorn85":2p6qndi4 said:
Clearly the most glaringly underrated team so far is Dallas Covenant. Lost one starter from last years state champ team, the kicker, a team that beat Valley and Throck last year. Starting them anywhere below the top 3 overall is an insult.

That kicker was amazing. Saw him in pregame warmup before the Valley game last year kicking 50-yarders like they were chip shots.

Until someone beats them, DC is the best team in all of 6-man.

One caveat, though. I think they have like 200 kids in high school - at least that's what I have heard.

The Dallas Covenant Kicker was not just a kicker. He was also one the best linebackers/Fullbacks I have seen play in a while. I had the honor of coaching him last year in the Private School All-Star game and he is the real deal as were all the players on both sides in that game.

rainjacktx":3sl6auwv said:
One caveat, though. I think they have like 200 kids in high school - at least that's what I have heard.

According to TAPPS realignment numbers, their fall 2011 enrollment was 90; average enrollment for the period was 82. I'm sure it's grown, but I'm pretty sure it's not 200 today.

My expectation is that Dallas Covenant will remain sixman for the next two year realignment, but for 2018-2020, they will probably be 11 man. As I understand it, their junior high is already playing crowded field football.

Looks to me that DC is pretty well rated. They are in the top-5 and within 16 points of the top spot and 12 within the top-3.

Very much looking forward to seeing what happens this weekend with Throck. Can we equate this game with the A&M-Bama matchup? Throck still won their title, but had this one loss and might they be looking for revenge. I cannot imagine Reed posting DC logos all over his weigh room.

I actually think Throckmorton wins a very close game, but this will go down to the wire.

No offense to anyone ranking teams but, as I stated in a thread right after the preseason rankings were initially posted... It is strange how Dallas Covenant could fall from a 2012 final overall ranking of #4 to a 2013 preseason ranking of #15 after defeating last year's final #1 AND #2 and only losing the one player (YES he was great but was surrounded by returning all-state caliber players). By the same token Gordon finished #15 in the final 2012 poll and skyrocketed to a 2013 preseason rank of #5 with less than half of their starters returning and a new coach. Strawn fell into the same category and went from #17 to #6.

As far as Dallas Covenant goes... Saturday vs Throckmorton will be a good indicator of ranking worthiness.

Maybe ... and just maybe ... the issues of "over-ranking" and "under-ranking" are more issues of not enough data (not enough games played by each team).

That's something that game time will handle.

Again, just wait a couple weeks and everything will sort out.

SixFan19":1zo1r3nr said:
No offense to anyone ranking teams but....

none taken. there was a reason I made DC's number 'lower'. Let's call it insufficient data and leave it at that. I knew any mistakes or changes would fix themselves within a few weeks.

Johnny South":3qlmcmmz said:
Hey Rainjack, I'll bet that Dallas Covenant bunch recruits Foster Kids, don't you think?

Wouldn't venture a guess on that, but I'd be willing to bet that their fans have all their teeth and can speak in complete, intelligible sentences.

Last year at Hico I asked a Dallas Covenant fan about high school enrollment and was told about 150. This year at Hico I asked the same question and was told about 160. I have wondered what the private schools use for cutoff numbers. This does not sound like an even playing field for public vs private games.

Mike Reed does not pull off this year. Throckmorton will win by about 30.

hornkeeper12":2ucye2s8 said:
http://www.covenantdallas.com/podium/default.aspx?t=32093

According to their website, DC's 7-12 enrollment for last year was 177. That's an average of 29.5 per class, or 118 for 9-12, IF all of the classes are the same size. But if the JH is already playing crowded field, then the average is probably a little higher in the lower grades.

That makes sense. Thanks for the info hornkeeper.

Back