Top 3 in District 1 both D1 and D2

No input just opinion. Being from groom and talking to several folks I think White Deer out classes all of them. They are to fast and to athletic. As far as Mclean goes I think they graduated 2 starters and was told they only have 13 kids out. Valley is young but they have the tradition and Mclean does not. I don't live there anymore so going of what I'm told. What is your input on D1?

I see a lot of potential in this district as I did last year. I see White Deer being second in my opinion behind McLean. White Deer graduated Two key starters in a qb and major threat receiver/defensive player. McLean graduated two seniors, one who didn’t contribute much around district/playoffs and one who got hurt in the first quarter of the first round of playoffs. I see serious potential in Perriman, Freeman, and Vigil. McLean has a lot of key starters returning (Henderson, Hannon, Crockett, Mann, Abshire. Plus a fantastic addition defensively with Rainer. I can see it going any way with Valley, WD, and McLean. It all comes down to who wants it more, prepared throughout the season for district, and who stays humble and doesn’t get big headed.

Thanks for the info I didn't know all that if mclean pretty much has the same kids they might be a regional contender. I assumed they lost two studs.

All-District Honors Show The Future Is Bright For The McLean Tigers
Article by Garrett Ross

Photo by Rodney Ayers

The 2017 football season is sadly coming to an end, but now is the time when players and coaches are receiving awards for their accomplishments throughout the year. The Class 1A Division 1 District 1 awards were released this week and after a close observation, I came away realizing that the McLean Tigers will be loaded next season.

The McLean Tigers were under the radar all season, that is until district play rolled around and they dominated an undefeated White Deer team 58-36. McLean would go on to be the runner-up in District 1 and the Tigers stormed into the playoffs where they made it to the quarterfinals.

The Tigers lone district loss came against Happy 74-28, but the Cowboys were a veteran team with a lot of big game experience. McLean defeated Nazareth 89-49 and Knox City 75-44, before coming up short to Happy for the second time this season 86-40.

McLean had five players make First Team Offense; WR Jayden Abshire, SC Dalton Abshire, RB Ben Crockett, SB Cayden Mann and KR Kade Reichmann, of these five players only one is a senior. The Tigers had three players earn First Team Defense honors; DL Jordan Parsons, CB Bradley Hannon and LB Chisim Henderson, two of the three will be returning next season.

McLean will be returning six players with First Team All-District honors, including Chisim Henderson. Chisim Henderson is the 6’3 185lb LB with the pain tolerance of a Roman Gladiator. Henderson took a shot against Knox City http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/6017645/h ... 0d2ca65232
that sidelined him for two plays, before coming back to break loose for a 40 yard touchdown five plays after returning. The junior played a quarter and a half of football with broken ribs, lacerated liver, and a ruptured spleen.

The Tigers will enter the 2018 season with momentum and experience, these two entities, along with the chance of a new district with realignment have McLean poised for success.

Proudly powered by WordPress

This was an article written about McLean...and I think I'm correct, a couple of these kids made All-State.... last year McLean wasn't suppose to make it out of District... Happy was predicted to win it, then White Deer second...in the end McLean got second to Happy and finished with a 9-1 record...won Bi-District over a loaded Nazareth team and then won Regionals over a highly favorite Knox City team...then they lost to Happy again in the Quarter Finals.... finished the year 11-2.... Not bad for a team that wasn't suppose to make it out of District...

Brad Rainer was previously the Head football coach at Follett. I’ve seen numerous Follett games played with an outstanding defense. I’ve been told he is very good defensively. His son is a good addition in my opinion.

D1:
Valley
McLean
White Deer

D2:
Follett
Groom
Lefors

D1 - Until someone unseats Valley in whatever district they reside in at the time I will have a hard time picking anyone else to win that district. Yes they have a new coach and lost a couple to graduation (as did McLean and White Deer) but until someone knocks off the champs they're the team to beat in my opinion. McLean is plenty talented and early season tests against defending State Champ Strawn, Follett, Groom and Balmorhea will test their mettle. Long road trips to Jayton to play Hermleigh and to Bryson to take on Union Hill will show how ready White Deer is to win this district.

D2 - Follett is loaded with talent but has not just a new coach but a new to six-man head coach. I know Coach Copley has been an assistant previously at Follett and Water Valley but running your own program may require a little adjustment (then again it may not). Groom is young and talented and Follett has a rough stretch to start the season (Valley, McLean, Happy and White Deer) so that gauntlet could take its toll and open a window for Groom.

Back