Top 15 active coaches

Kramer

11-man fan
Came up with a list of the top 15 active coaches in the game that I know of. I'm sure I've left out some legends.

15. Tye Keith - happy
14. Mike Bigham - motley County
13. Ronnie Crompton - milford
12. John York - water valley
11. Jack shely - veribest / Nathan Hayes - Crowell
10. Larry Reid - rotan
9. Shane Mallory - hermleigh
8. Toby Goodwin - ira
7. Terry Crawford - abbott
6. Trey Richie - borden county
5. Eddie gallagoes - jonesboro
4. Dwaine Lee - strawn
3. Vance Jones - balmorhea
2. Jerry Burkhart - richland springs
1. Bret tyler - sterling city

coachbronk":1kcszt76 said:
Great list!!!

How did you come up with the list?

A few shots of liquid courage mixed with mtn dew, 15 numbered darts and 138 names. I closed my eyes, threw all 15 at once and that's where they landed.

No Actually I was drinking coffee in Levelland (Noemi's Place) and over-heard a few gents talking sixman, So I chimed in and somehow we got onto the topic of past and present 6 man coaches.
So once I got home, I pulled out the laptop and typed it up.

The TSMCA has a list already. But its only based on wins. Is that really all it takes? What is a quality coach based on anyway? I bet some of those guys would rather see their legacy be college graduates, business owners, men that pick a great bride and remain married till death do they part while taking great care for their children.
Mere wins pale in comparison to a life lived for others.
While wins are fun and all, lets see a list compiled with those parameters and I'll admit that's a whole different level of top coach.

Ol' gus,
Lets look at this list

Nick Saban, Kelvin Sumlin, Chip Kelly, Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Bobby Bowden, Do you think these GREAT COACHES are judged on coaching characteristics and how many athletes graduate from their progams or BY WINS and LOSSES.
All of these coaches have had FELONS within their programs who has continued to play/stay in school.

Do you really think A-M was in it for Johnny Manziels character or for the WINS.
NO ONE WHO IS/WAS an A-M fan cared about Johnny's well-being, ALL THEY SAW WAS HOW TALENTED HE WAS AND HE BEAT ALABAMA.

Sadly it's the same at the HS level, My very good friend James Morton, who was at Midland Lee was underfire for going 38-35 and 3 playoff appearances so he resigned and headed back to is hometown of Eastland.
He was underfire for not being a steady playoff caliber team (which once again, goes back to wins and losses).
No one at Midland ISD Administration building cared that James Morton has the highest/best dropout rate at LEE HIGH SCHOOL (2%), which means he graduated 98% of his football players.
THAT'S THE HIGHEST IT'S EVER BEEN AT LEE HIGH SCHOOL.
Yet he was underfire for his limited visits to the uil football playoffs, which was 3.

In todays world, People will say those characteristics are great AND THEY ARE, BUT IT COMES DOWN TO WHO WINS will be the ones getting the GOOD/GREAT COACHING JOBS.

Even in the 6 man world, do you think the household 8 houses down from Coach Tyler is honestly worried about if John Doe who lives 15 houses down graduates.
HELL NO
They're more worried about how much better will SC Eagles be next year.

Kramer":16ojiwh5 said:
Ol' gus,
Lets look at this list

Nick Saban, Kelvin Sumlin, Chip Kelly, Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Bobby Bowden, Do you think these GREAT COACHES are judged on coaching characteristics and how many athletes graduate from their progams or BY WINS and LOSSES.
All of these coaches have had FELONS within their programs who has continued to play/stay in school.

Do you really think A-M was in it for Johnny Manziels character or for the WINS.
NO ONE WHO IS/WAS an A-M fan cared about Johnny's well-being, ALL THEY SAW WAS HOW TALENTED HE WAS AND HE BEAT ALABAMA.

Sadly it's the same at the HS level, My very good friend James Morton, who was at Midland Lee was underfire for going 38-35 and 3 playoff appearances so he resigned and headed back to is hometown of Eastland.
He was underfire for not being a steady playoff caliber team (which once again, goes back to wins and losses).
No one at Midland ISD Administration building cared that James Morton has the highest/best dropout rate at LEE HIGH SCHOOL (2%), which means he graduated 98% of his football players.
Yet he was underfire for his limited visits to the uil football playoffs, which was 3.

In todays world, People will say those characteristics are great AND THEY ARE, BUT IT COMES DOWN TO WHO WINS will be the ones getting the GOOD/GREAT COACHING JOBS.

Even in the 6 man world, do you think the household 8 houses down from Coach Tyler is honestly worried about if John Doe who lives 15 houses down graduates.
HELL NO

Typically I don't post on these type of feeds, but c'mon. Yes wins are important. At the end of the day, that's one of the main factors we are judged on come contract time. However, any coach who disregards education as another key factor is living in fools paradise. Wins will get you so far, but at some point those players become adults. If you can't foster a student's education and prepare him for life after High School, as well as win football games, you have failed. Doesn't mean you can send 100% of your students to college, and go 1-9 every season and feel safe. But there has to be a balance! We're not in college, making Millions of dollars to win now. We're all High School teachers first. If not, let the kids be homeschooled and take up coaching homeschool athletics. At least then, the boys have a chance to survive life after their playing days are over. And to answer your question: NO, that household may not care about John Doe's graduation, but mostly because it's not their kid. However, if their child lives in that household, then yes they care; or they'll have a permanent tenant in their basement and blame the High School the rest of his life that their son is a 30-year old sacker at Piggly Wiggly. I would rather be 6-4 every season, and never make the board for the "Top Coaches", but have my players graduate and have become better men; than to risk their futures for my fame. If that makes me mediocre; than so be it - I'll take it.

It all depends on the place and situation. He was talking about Midland schools that football is number one and they pour $$$ into the facilities. Same in the six man world some teams goal is to win a state title every year winning district titles and one playoff game is not good enough at some places but of course coaches know this before they take the job.

coachsatcher":3uhyme7e said:
Kramer":3uhyme7e said:
Ol' gus,
Lets look at this list

HELL NO

Typically I don't post on these type of feeds, but c'mon. Yes wins are important. At the end of the day, that's one of the main factors we are judged on come contract time. However, any coach who disregards education as another key factor is living in fools paradise. Wins will get you so far, but at some point those players become adults. If you can't foster a student's education and prepare him for life after High School, as well as win football games, you have failed. Doesn't mean you can send 100% of your students to college, and go 1-9 every season and feel safe. But there has to be a balance! We're not in college, making Millions of dollars to win now. We're all High School teachers first. If not, let the kids be homeschooled and take up coaching homeschool athletics. At least then, the boys have a chance to survive life after their playing days are over. And to answer your question: NO, that household may not care about John Doe's graduation, but mostly because it's not their kid. However, if their child lives in that household, then yes they care; or they'll have a permanent tenant in their basement and blame the High School the rest of his life that their son is a 30-year old sacker at Piggly Wiggly. I would rather be 6-4 every season, and never make the board for the "Top Coaches", but have my players graduate and have become better men; than to risk their futures for my fame. If that makes me mediocre; than so be it - I'll take it.
I need a "Like" button for this one.

Kramer:

As cynical as your statement sounds, there is a lot of truth in it. I've been in a few situations where the admin preaches relationships, building men, mentoring, graduating, etc yet we weren't consistent in the win column or playoffs and I started to get heat from them because the parents weren't happy. I asked them about all the stuff on relationships, etc and all they said was, yeah we love that, but we need you to win more.

Now, it doesn't change how I handle my players; I care a great deal about them and will continue to help them become better men, etc, but I do know that winning is ultimately what we are judged on.

Great thoughts Kramer.

This has always been the case, most of the we care talk comes from the thought of meet the rep. of our program, mean while the real ideas are just win baby and remember the next class coming in replaces those losers graduating or not. Every business has two faces the rep. and the truth and they are not the same.....

I think Kramers theory is THE problem and the MAIN problem.
You better fact check on Bobby Bowden. The reason he won so much is the same reason John Wooden and Pat Summit did too. They were all character first coaches who expected their character training to carry over from life skills to athletic skills in that order. John Wooden was at UCLA 16 years before his Pyramid of Success program really became a tradition and took hold. Then and only then did the wins come in bucket loads. Listen to his talks and he'll tell you he appreciates and knows exactly how many of his players went on to become doctors, lawyers, business owners, preachers, etc. because of their strong character not basketball. Athletics do nothing to prepare a child for life without specific character training tools that should go along with it.
You're wrong on so many counts its way past sad.

Ol' Gus very good point though I don't agree that Kramers theory should be under attack if he has experienced something that support his viewpoint then that is his understanding on the matter, not attacking your viewpoint either just pointing out the many shades of grey , but your point is well taken and has merit after all how many times have that slogan been used sports produces life skills ,there are many lessons learned from the games but without some character traits included players get nothing from participating .

ol' gus":8ii520by said:
You better fact check on Bobby Bowden. The reason he won so much is the same reason John Wooden and Pat Summit did too. They were all character first coaches who expected their character training to carry over from life skills to athletic skills in that order. John Wooden was at UCLA 16 years before his Pyramid of Success program really became a tradition and took hold. Then and only then did the wins come in bucket loads. Listen to his talks and he'll tell you he appreciates and knows exactly how many of his players went on to become doctors, lawyers, business owners, preachers, etc. because of their strong character not basketball. Athletics do nothing to prepare a child for life without specific character training tools that should go along with it.

All valid points but doesn't necessarily apply to todays world. Case and point, Charlie Strong at Texas. He is all about character and building men, but he is under major heat at Texas because he isn't winning.

Every admin wants character kids, etc but it must come with wins but at the end of the day most admin will take a program with wins and trophies without character than character without wins.

Personally, I don't think its right, I'm just saying I've seen it more times than not.

coachbronk":32jkwar5 said:
ol' gus":32jkwar5 said:

All valid points but doesn't necessarily apply to todays world. Case and point, Charlie Strong at Texas. He is all about character and building men, but he is under major heat at Texas because he isn't winning.

Every admin wants character kids, etc but it must come with wins but at the end of the day most admin will take a program with wins and trophies without character than character without wins.

Personally, I don't think its right, I'm just saying I've seen it more times than not.
If Kramers point comes from personal experience then I'm sorry he got treated that way. If he's just a pee-wee dad then...
At the pro level then it's about wins. At college wins are nice. At HS it better be about education.
oh, and Charlie Strong is only under attack by people like Kramer and all the other misguided souls.
I've never heard a Prin or Supe EVER talk about wins. They bring up all sorts of other useless crap but not wins. School board daddies whose kids inhale talk a lot of crap.

I can tell you from personal experience that a year ago I sat in an evaluation meeting with my head of school and AD with the main topic being: we aren't winning enough and if we don't win next year then we will need to reevaluate if I'm the right man or not. This was after he had a secret meeting with the parents so they could complain that all the fuzzy, feel good mentor, character stuff was great, but they wanted W's.

I'm not saying this goes on everywhere, but it goes on at a lot of places, right or wrong.

coachbronk":2oa06u9x said:
I can tell you from personal experience that a year ago I sat in an evaluation meeting with my head of school and AD with the main topic being: we aren't winning enough and if we don't win next year then we will need to reevaluate if I'm the right man or not. This was after he had a secret meeting with the parents so they could complain that all the fuzzy, feel good mentor, character stuff was great, but they wanted W's.

I'm not saying this goes on everywhere, but it goes on at a lot of places, right or wrong.

If this was a private school, these are not fair comparisons. Most of us are speaking on behalf of the public school system. Ones in which 80% of the salary is based on a teacher's sliding scale. But make no mistake, as long as coaches are on a one year contract, they can be let go for anything: wins/losses, pissing off the school board president, bad morals, breaking rules, etc. My point is, you can't say "To Hell With Education", and consider yourself a public school coach. Until you get to 3A and above, where you can be a head football coach, with no teaching responsibilities; we will always be educators/coaching.

Back