To Mercy Rule or Not To Mercy Rule...That is the question!

Bdubbs

11-man fan
I was just curious what are the thoughts about to Mercy Rule or not to.

With small districts and the inclusion of many home school/private schools that often lack the experience or talent to keep a game exciting or close....

Is it better to quickly reach the 45 point mercy threshold or pull your starters to allow for the underclassmen to get some playing time?

I have been told that quickly reaching the mercy rule eliminates potential injuries...
I have been told that allowing as many players to play is the best answer because it removes the harshness of losing severely by one team while spreading the playing time to a lot of players who might not get much time on the field is best.

I have given this a lot of thought and basically wondered what others thought. I mean when you remove your starters to extend the game or to minimize the embarrassment of losing are you really benefiting the team? Minimizing the embarrassment factor because the other team knows your starters are gone and the underclassmen are now playing....

What are your thoughts?

This is clearly a question for people looking on... I can not imagine any coach in the game questioning this rule. Any game over-matched at this level, is a breeding ground for injury or embarrassment. This has been the rule since 1938 and will continue to be the rule. You open up the opportunity otherwise for a team's season to be ended early in the season, which at times can mean the end of a program. Let's not push this any further.

The problem, and the reason the mercy rule makes sense, is that by definition, sixman football is for schools that have small numbers. And if you look at the stats (which I kept for several years), about half the games end by this rule (I didn't keep a count on how many end at half, but my guess would be about 20-25% of games finish at halftime.).

I'd wager that the average six-man team has less than 12-15 players. Heck, many have 10 or fewer.

Except for the smallest 11-man teams, most schools are able to bring out 30-50 boys for the crowded field version. Yeah, maybe the last 10 aren't very good, but chances are the other guy you're playing has kids that are slightly better or worse. Many states (as well as TAPPS 11 man) have running clock rules for 11 man that kick in at 30 or 40 point leads.

The problem is, even if you have a small team (in numbers) with good athletes, you don't have that "third team" that can finish out the game, so you may have no choice but to play your best players against a weak opponent. Those games end 46-0 or 66-0 at halftime and we all go home.

I think it was at one of the first clinics that Jeremy Wentrcek had in Temple that Brice Helton's dad talked and one of the questions posed to him was how do you determine if you want to 45 someone and get the game over with. His answer went something like this -- if I have a deep team, I'll want the game to go as long as I can and will substitute to continue the game, giving those players game experience.

But if numbers are small -- or if it's a playoff game and I don't want to risk injury, I'll try to finish the game as quickly as I can. And it's usually the stronger team that makes the determination when the game will end.

One thing that is, in my mind, poor sportsmanship, is that if you're in the last couple minutes of the game and you're up by 39 to 44 points, "going for it" to mercy rule is in bad form. Now, if the other guy throws an interception and all I can see between me and the goal posts is green, well, I guess you score, but you try to let the game go 40 minutes.

Just one minor correction here...this has not been a rule since 1938...the 45 point mercy rule was made and adopted by the six-man rules committee in 1939...and even then it is unclear if the UIL and the schools in Texas observed it then (sure they did but non the less it is presumptuous to assume the UIL accepted this rule right away)

I understand that you say that "going for it" is in bad form...but the longer that you play the more chance for injury. If you only have 10 kids, chances are you only 4 kids (you know what I mean), so why wouldn't you try to get off the field. I am not saying run the hook & ladder or flea-flicker, but I don't see a reason to not try to score, just to make sure that we all go to the 2nd half.

I think to many, to "45" your opponent is thought of as a badge of honor. That goes for good opponents and bad ones. Sixman football has a different mindset due to the rule. It's a different animal. It was mentioned letting the 2nd string play. Many teams now field a JV, and in doing so they only suit up 10 or so on varsity. How do you deal with that? If you have your 2nd team suited up it really ends up depending on if the starters need more work, if the opponent is capable of getting back in the game vs the 2nd string (this is afterall... Sixman football and it has happened), or a variety of other conditions.

Many feel that you are expected to "45" a much weaker team, anything less can appear as an inability to "shut the door". I have seen many many games where the 45 point rule was going to be enforced no matter who the winning team threw on the field. Sadly there are a large number of "teams" in six-man that are so terrible you wonder why they even show up. It's generally not due to lack of numbers (that is an overused stereotype), but rather the lack of preparation and dedication. That boils down to the lack of coaching and obviously to the want to and abilities of the players.

Most of the time the rule is enforced because it is inevitable.

If I had several players and the JV had no game. Then I would extend it. If I had very few players. I wanted to get on and get off. Been on both sides of the mercy rule. Some coaches just let it happen. Others are malicious about it. I believe under no circumstance should a jr high ever be 45ed. These little guys are learning how to play the game. I had young coach do this to me one time. The next night I hung 100 on him.

Thanks to all for the great input and insight into this much different animal called 6-man football. As someone who moved from the "crowded field" football to a very small town and into the 6-man football....it has indeed been an adventure! I guess the only thing I really haven't cared too much for is the often lopsided games that we have encountered. Don't get me wrong we took a beating the first game of the season and enjoyed one of those 48-0 mercy rule games but since then have seen lopsided game after lopsided game. The one disappointment for me is that our son is a senior and only gets to play about half the first quarter because our coach pulls half the starters to spread the game time around for the younger ones. And while I truly do understand the philosophy of our head coach and certainly don't have an issue with the younger players getting some time on the field....I do empathize with the boys who get pulled and say "we worked hard all summer conditioning and looked forward to our senior year"..only to get pulled and watch from the sideline. All in all it's much better to spread the playing time around if you can but I do wish there were less lopsided wins in 6-man football. That said though....I have never enjoyed a "crowded field" football game like I have in a 6-man game when both teams are evenly matched. It's a greatly entertaining game to watch and there are some real athletes out there in this division!

Thanks again to everyone who contributed.....and the typing 6-man Authority called Leman!

Just imho. Depends on the situation. No jv, pre district or want to develop players with real time experience, yes. Maybe. Going for district and beyond, no.
Score all you can. Let your players play. 45'n always sends a message, if you can keep your teams heads in their helmets.

Count Coog":19i899cw said:
I understand that you say that "going for it" is in bad form...but the longer that you play the more chance for injury. If you only have 10 kids, chances are you only 4 kids (you know what I mean), so why wouldn't you try to get off the field. I am not saying run the hook & ladder or flea-flicker, but I don't see a reason to not try to score, just to make sure that we all go to the 2nd half.

Count, I was talking about games that were deep into the fourth quarter. If it's close to 45 at half and it happens at half, so be it.

Although I remember a game in our early years at Seguin Lifegate (may have been while we were playing our games at Navarro HS), we were up something like 44-0 near the half and I'm standing on the sidelines (as AD). Coach Rabon smiles and says something like "well, I guess you like the game to go into the third quarter." You do need that good halftime concessions revenue, you know!

Drifter
The crowded field is ok. Taught them a little jbird. State has two picks and several breakups. We both are still feeling our way through. We miss the short field though. Had the "how do you get 6 guys ready for a game " question. How are things for you.

So many lopsided games really hurts 6-Man football in my opinion...I agree it is not all about the numbers but more about the programs and communities..I know our varsity coaches are here at 6:30 each morning working with the JH...I have wondered how many other varsity coaches do this???

I do feel like if you are going out of your way to score late in the game to 45 someone, then you are running it up. I know of teams scoring points when they could just knee the ball and end the game...This is poor sportsmanship and can call for retaliation.

Not sure if anyone has heard, but the NCAA experienced some serious lobbying for the 45 point mercy rule this weekend. I understand the idea came out of College Station and had the support of Sumlin and his staff; but the TV stations and the SEC squashed it when they realized how much they may lose on ads and concessions.

I'm surprised you flipped the channel to the Ags game while the Horns were earning their 3rd win of the year in a thrilling come from behind victory over the worst team in the conference.

59-0 watched every second of it. Looks like Sumlins offensive genius left College Station with Manziel. At least his defense has been consistent.

You watched every second of it?? I suppose I underestimated your hatred for the Ags after all. Interesting how UT fans are always the first to tell you they could care less about what your team is doing, then jump at the chance to pile on when your team loses a game. Maybe your right, maybe all of Sumlin's success is due to JFF (although I would argue that would be kingsbury). Maybe Sumlin and the Aggies are doomed for life in the SEC. For now though, I'll stick with the Ags. I'll try to take some comfort knowing their losses were to the #1,#2 and #4 teams in the country. I'll try to remind myself that it will take time for all those young pups the Ags got on both sides of the ball (and at offensive coordinator) to grow up. I'll keep drinking the maroon koolaid. But Sumlin isnt the best man for the job in Aggieland, come on...your joking right? Everything he has touched up until last night has turned to gold.

Back