Ten events that happened the year Evant last won district

olderelk

11-man fan
The Evant Elks haven't won a district championship since 1954.
They didn't make the playoffs again until 2004, 50 years later, when they went as runner-up.
The Waco Tribune Herald and Fort Worth Star Telegram gave them some good press in '04.
David Thomas, of the Star Telegram listed the following (this all happened the year the Elks last won district)
Ten notable events from 1954:
1. Elvis Presley released his first single on Sun Records, with That's All Right
backed by Blue Moon of Kentucky.
2. In Brown vs. Board of Education, a 9-0 vote by the U.S. Supreme Court effectively ends
legal protection for school segration.
3. Roger Bannister becomes the first person to run the mile
in less than 4 minutes. (3:59.4)
4. RCA introduces its first commercial color television.
5. The Tonight Show premiers with Steve Allen as host.
6. Joseph McCarthy is censured by the U.S. Senate for conduct unbecoming a senator.
7. President Eisenhower proposes an interstate highway system.
8. The U.S. Navy christens the USS Nautilus, the first nuclear-powered submarine.
9. Sports Illustrated debuts.
10. Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe marry in January, then
announce their separation in October.

My younger brother and sister are Evant graduates and my parents taught there for 10 years.....I always like seeing them have some success.

Thanks, so do I. I'm a '57 Evant grad, and I love the Elks.
They went 4-1 in district in '04 (losing to Goldthwaite) and made the playoffs for the
first time in 50 years. It was a really big deal and they got some good press.
Evant has had limited success in football over the years, and mostly the years they had good teams
there was always someone a little better. There was a time when we won district in basketball and baseball
almost every year. The girls still do well in basketball and volleyball.
I found out on another thread Rochelle has a chance to win district for the.
first time in 50 years. They have a really good shot at it and I hope they get some press out of it.

Back