Survey of Coaches: Playoff Sites

elenaran

11-man fan
Hi, I'm a grad student doing some research about TX playoff site selection (also a big 6-man fan). I have a few questions for all you 6M coaches & former coaches out there:

What all goes into your decision when finding the best spot for a playoff game?

Describe the process of interacting with potential host schools to determine the location.

Do you prefer to play in stadiums you've played in before?

Do you prefer six-man fields or full-size fields for playoff games?

When and how do you decide if a potential playoff site is too big/small?

Do things such as stadium amenities, the age of the stadium, the turf, and lighting play a role in your decision?

Describe the process of negotiation with the opposing coaches to pick the playoff site.

What matters more to you: neutrality of the site (closer to one school than the other) or the distance traveled?

When making your decision, do you look at maps to determine a midpoint? If so, do you only consider straight-line distance (as the crow flies) or do you think about driving time?

For my research I'm really only interested in the responses of current & former coaches, so if you're interested in helping me out with this, could you also post when/where you coach(ed)?

Thanks!

ps - If you would prefer to post your answers in private, or if you know any other coaches that would be interested, please Message me on the boards.

pps - I'm hoping for a Crowell v Calvert championship. Although unlikely, it could potentially put the final game closer to me!

Best playoff site story I ever heard came from Edd Burleson, the executive director of TAPPS, from his days at Mart HS.

Seems his playoff opponent was anxious to get a home game and wanted to flip for home field. Edd was adamant that he wanted a neutral site.

So, Edd tells the guy that for that week, his home field was Ysleta H. S. in El Paso. Let's flip.

All of a sudden, the other guy starts talking neutral site.

Back