STRAWN v. GORDON (NEXT WEEK)!

Dogface

Six-man fan
One very long running rivalry!
50 plus years and almost an even split.
Go figure.
Gordon's home team.
They grill burgers and have a decent FP.
Come early for a parkin spot and your favorite seat!!

Just out of curiosity,
what are some other 50 yr. rivalries?

And you better not say Karnack v. Bloomburg!
(Not that they wouldn't be a good match)!!

Buckholts has been playing Oglesby and Jonesboro since 56 according to web records. However, there was a dry spell between buckholts and jonesboro from 02-10.

The "Superbowl of Sixman Football". That's what the Fort Worth Star Telegram called it back in the 90's. Now they don't even post 6m scores in Saturday's paper or mix a few in with the 1A scores. I couldn't figure it out back then, it's not a playoff game, much less a championship. Wait a minute. I guess it is the 6m "champioship" game of Palo Pinto County. It's the 1st 6m game I ever saw, also back in the 90's. I remember thinking Wow there's a lot of people here for these 2 little bitty towns and both sides are really excited and vocal. The motherinlaw remembers pulling up to the fence with the heater & wipers on to watch my brotherinlaw play in it in the snow once in the 80's. For most of the years I've seen it it was a district game late in the season & I came to think of it as the "Hunters" bowl with so much camo around. It often coincided with the start of or preperation for deer season. The one 6m game many would see once a year. You still see a few dove hunters. Just about always intense, hard hittn', even if one is getting 45'd. You can throw out the DI v DII, the rankings, the spread. When the whistle blows they don't care about that, neither team is intimidated by the other. But, this year I'm hoping the Hounds don't look on here at the spread from the toy & start thinkin about a walk in the park. I think Coach Lee will have them focused. I know Coach Mallory will have the Horn's fired up & would love to beat his mentor & alma mater. To some looking at DI/DII, the rankings, the spread, it might be a meaningless game. To some though this is as good as it gets, win or loose, make the playoff's or not. Heck I'm getting excited writing this. Can't wait. Y'all come.

This will be a good game, close at the half, maybe with gordon ahead, then strawn will come out in the 2nd half and hand it too em.Strawns one loss is to a very good Jonesboro team, and strawn held them score less in the 2nd half lossing by 9. Strawn beat theirself in the first 2 min. of that game, although jonsboro is a very good team and will go far this year.
STRAWN wins this one!

This will be the 62nd meeting between Gordon and Strawn, a series that began in 1923. Strawn currently leads the overall series 31-27-3.

Good post 51eleven. You are right in that this game should be a good one.

These spreads havent meant much for Gordon so far, I dont expect this one to be any different. In week 0 Gordon was picked by 13 and won by 60. They were picked by 14 the next week and won by 46. In week 2 the spread was ZERO and Gordon won by 46. Last week Bryson was favored by 35 and Gordon won by 12. While all of this was going on, Gordon's movement in the rankings has been fairly minimal. Im not sure what has kept the Horns weighted down at the bottom of the rankings, nor do I really care. All I can say is that spreads on the Gordon games have been well off target.

I think the strength of schedule has hurt as far as moving up in the rankings. Bryson was the only team that has won a game. I think this week will show how much improvement Gordon has made. Also, last year is hard to compare to because Gordon lost Lopez and Spraggins in the 4th game for the season. Should be fun on Friday Night.

What was that? Strawn by what? 45 you say? Good call on that one.
Should be an easy win for Strawn? Guess again. I have been waiting all week for this. Wasn't sure we would win, figured we would, but you fellers (and gals) underestimated us, or possibly overestimated yourselves. But I knew it would be a close game. Can't even blame the officials for this one. Only 4 flags in the game, 3 against Gordon. (Defensive holding? I don't think so).
5-0, enough said. GREAT JOB HORNS!!!

Back