Shovelers Needed at Lambeau Field

freeagent

Six-man pro
The Packers are on the road this week, but there was about a foot of snow in Green Bay on Tuesday night/Wednesday. By the way, they'll have 300 folks there by mid-morning on Saturday ... snow removal at Lambeau is art in motion ... and I'm glad I'm not shoveling it ... If God had meant for Texans to shovel snow, he'd made bull... white.

(For a snow picture, go to: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/a ... _on_alert/ )

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/art ... d-Saturday

Shovelers needed at Lambeau Field Saturday

Green Bay Press-Gazette
December 11, 2009

The Green Bay Packers are looking for people to help shovel out Lambeau Field on Saturday.

The team needs as many as 300 people to remove snow from the stadium, beginning at 9 a.m.

Shovelers must be at least 15 years old and will be paid $8 per hour. The Packers will provide the shovels.

Anyone interested should report to the Mills Fleet Farm gate on the stadium’s west side beginning at 9 a.m. and continuing through the day.

I got caught in the middle of that. I was in Appleton Wisconsin December 6-10, about 40 miles from Green Bay. Blizzard Allison came through and I believe it was close to zero degrees at one time.

According to the National Weather Service, a blizzard (or winter hurricane) must have sustained winds in excess of 35 mph, 2” accumulations of snow per hour, visibility of less than 500 feet, a wind chill less than −15 Fahrenheit and all of these four conditions must last for 3 hours or more.

Blizzard names are unofficial, unlike hurricane names. Blizzard Allison was Appleton's third largest since 1890. 14 inches of snow fell during a 24 hour period.

When we finally were able to leave Thursday it kept getting warmer:
It was 7 degrees F when we left Appleton @ 6:30 am
It was 21 degrees F when we left Detroit @ 11:30 am
It was 57 degrees F when we left Hotlanta (Atlanta) @ 1:30 pm

That was the third time I have seen snow in the past 15 years. I was in San Angelo several years ago visiting my brother and we got 3-4 inches. We had a freak snow storm come through Savannah in MAY 1996. (yes May) It snowed about 2 inches then. My 3 year old daughter quickly grasped the idea of packing the white "stuff" in a ball and smacking daddy up side the head and not getting in trouble. Her mom was yelling at me to get her in the house cause she was going to get sick. I said who cares, shes never going to see snow in Savannah ever again. The previous snow storm in Savannah came through (before my time) in 1989. Being on the coast that far down south pretty much kills all winter sporting activities on the coast.

I hope I never see snow like that again...

We're heading up to the Green Bay area (I grew up in Two Rivers, about 40 miles southeast of GB, on the shores of Lake Michigan) in two weeks and will be in Lambeau for the Seattle game Dec. 27th.

Some of those storms can be, as our Savannah visitor to Appleton can attest, pretty stinkin' tough.

Well, at least my kiddo (age 7) will see snow. I can skip the thrill, I've seen (and shoveled) enough.

And I did see 13 inches of snow in San Antonio in 1985.

lifegatesports, I used to live in Brady and I was in San Antonio during that snow storm in 1985. I had gone to visit relatives and got trapped for three days. San Antonio does not have snow plows, sand, salt, tire chains or any of that. The Texas Highway patrol and local law enforcement were getting tired of pulling people out of the ditches and isssued a decree something like "if we find you in a ditch, you are going to get a ticket".

Back