Shortest distance you travel for District Games?

Back when Strawn and Gordon were in the same district, it was 8 miles. Guess it still is 8 miles, just not in the same district or division anymore.

hornkeeper12":ar1dz41k said:
Back when Strawn and Gordon were in the same district, it was 8 miles. Guess it still is 8 miles, just not in the same district or division anymore.
Ha,
you almost got yourself!

Not trying to hijack this thread, but with these schools that are very close together, are they pretty serious rivalries in all the different areas, in the panhandle lockney and floydada not sixman (yet) but are 10 miles apart and have played for over 50 consecutive years. And I've heard a that they have designated times and quarters for fans from each team to go to the concession stand during the game. Along with lots of other crazy rivalry related stories. Are any of you alls rivalries this serious??

@: Not trying to hijack this thread, but with these schools that are very close together, are they pretty serious rivalries in all the different areas, in the panhandle lockney and floydada not sixman (yet) but are 10 miles apart and have played for over 50 consecutive years. And I've heard a that they have designated times and quarters for fans from each team to go to the concession stand during the game. Along with lots of other crazy rivalry related stories. Are any of you alls rivalries this serious??

Strawn/Gordon rivalry has been going for years. I have been a part of the community(because that's what we are Strawn, Mingus, Gordon) for 4 years now. The rivalry does certainly exist on the field and the boys play like its the State Championship everytime. The fans pull for their favorite just as hard. But when it's all said and done, we are STILL a community. With the exception of a few illadvised pranks (costly damage to fields) I have noticed no hatred or discontent between any of the folks from this fine area of our State.
If Gordon were to advance and Strawn did not, you can bet that you will see Strawn folks there pulling for The Horns. I've seen it the other way round as well.

On that note, I would like to point out that the boys (young MEN) of Gordon invited all of the Strawn team to their "5th Quarter" at a local church following our last meeting.

Rivalry, YES. Hatred, NO..

Agreed. Half my family lives in Strawn, You guys got my support on every game, except one. Go to BJ's after any Strawn/Gordon game and you will see red letter jackets, and gold letter jackets sitting at the same table. Good luck Hounds.

hornkeeper12":2vfpuc32 said:
Agreed. Half my family lives in Strawn, You guys got my support on every game, except one. Go to BJ's after any Strawn/Gordon game and you will see red letter jackets, and gold letter jackets sitting at the same table. Good luck Hounds.
That's the way it should be everywhere.

Donkgrind":22xcvr9u said:
Not trying to hijack this thread, but with these schools that are very close together, are they pretty serious rivalries in all the different areas, in the panhandle lockney and floydada not sixman (yet) but are 10 miles apart and have played for over 50 consecutive years. And I've heard a that they have designated times and quarters for fans from each team to go to the concession stand during the game. Along with lots of other crazy rivalry related stories. Are any of you alls rivalries this serious??

Going back to hijacking, the longest running rivalry in Texas high school football is renewed this weekend ... New Braunfels at Seguin, in what is now called the Guadalupe River Bowl. Series started in the 1920's and until about 30 years ago, Seguin had a decent lead. New Braunfels ran off about 23 straight wins until I think about five or six years ago when Seguin won three straight, but New Braunfels has won the last three or four. Game is at Seguin Matador Stadium (as both schools are in the same district again).

Back