RIP Gary Carter

rainjacktx

Six-man fan
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ ... 7-15695657

Heard a tribute montage about him on Mad Dog Radio this morning. I knew he had cancer, but I had no idea he would go this quick - only 9 months after being diagnosed. But the tribute was probably one of the best I've ever heard, and I couldn't stand him or the Mets back then.

Evidently Carter was a heck of a guy. Too bad we never heard more about that. The press always seemed to be preoccupied with whatever it was Gooden and Strawberry were snorting up their noses.

I just heard Dan Patrick reminisce about Carter. Nice story about him after Game 6 of the '86 series. Patrick asked him to sign a ball for his future mother-in-law saying that Dan would make a great son-in-law...........

I was not aware that I could edit the thread title. I think I fixed it.

Baseball in the 80's seems so long ago. For some reason, baseball in the 70's is much more vivid in my memory.

I remember skipping football practice one afternoon and hiding under the stairs at school to liten to one of the 1978 NLCS games between the Dodgers and the Phillies on the radio. I don't remember anything other than Gibson's HR for the Dodgers in 1988. I think it was 1988.

I remember watching Willie Mc Covey and Willie Mays, Sandy Cofax, Mickey Mantle, Harmon Killebrew, Roger Maris, Ernie Banks, Bob Gibson,......... man I am really dating myself.

Yeah, the "Mick" was my hero. We didn't hear about all the off-field escapades then. There was a kind of innocence that kids don't get today. Now we expect sports figures to actually be human and make mistakes. Somehow I think things might have been a little simpler back then....................

dawgfan23":3mz24tfa said:
I remember watching Willie Mc Covey and Willie Mays, Sandy Cofax, Mickey Mantle, Harmon Killebrew, Roger Maris, Ernie Banks, Bob Gibson,......... man I am really dating myself.

Tom Tresh,Bobby Richardson,Elston Howard,Phil Lentz,Joe Pepitone,,back when the Yankees were on TV ever saturday,,,,Dizzy Dean,and Pee Wee Reese play by play...Falstaff beer...

Did they have closers back then?
One of my favorite 1967 Red Sox,,Yaz,,,last player to win the triple crown,,,who knows,we may never have a another triple crown winner

Back