Refs not showing for a Varsity Football Game

schwartz

11-man fan
A home team is responsible for getting refs and making sure they show up. A real good organization will always follow up the day of the game to make sure the refs are going to show up. When this is not done and the visiting team travels, the home team should forfeit. High Island offered to come to Prairie Lea on the following Saturday. Prairie Lea could not play the following day because we had two players that would not be able to attend the game. That would of left us with 4 players. Because of this the District Chair called a DEC meeting for the next day to discuss options. Prairie Lea was unable to attend the meeting at such short notice and now we are forced to play on Monday in High Island at 5 for something that could of been corrected had school admin. checked to verify the refs were coming the day of the game. Now we must move next Friday's game vs. Calvert for a Saturday kickoff instead of Friday. Prairie Lea did the right thing by showing up to play and will now get punished and have to play on Monday and move our next game for Saturday. All could of been avoided with a follow up with the refs the day of the game. If we are allowed to play on Monday I have not received anything from the UIL stating we could play a varsity game that day. Prairie Lea does not have the best history the last 10 years but I am working hard to change that. I certainly feel we were bullied around in this situation. Remember two things 1. Follow up with refs and get it documented. 2. Prairie Lea is moving in the right direction and the kids have the absolute best attitudes I have ever coach in my life.

crawford":1rvw92ow said:
Mark Twain has a great quote for you
The one about truth and laughter defeating sugar-coated lies? Or the one that says, Tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything?

I agree that there was an error made on either the school's side or the officials, or both.

No different than your error in judgement getting on here and bashing a coach and a school.

Looks like Prairie Lea will have to forfeit their game vs. High Island today that was scheduled for 5pm in High Island. Prairie Lea will refuse to make a trip that they had already made on Friday. Congrats to High Island on the win.

For the kids! I am sick of ppl claiming they are always doing things for the kids then having their actions speak otherwise. This was all about getting a W. This was never about the kids.

Mistakes are made. It's the same, weather happens. If you really want to make up a game, you can. Think about the High Island kids. Is it their fault the refs didn't show? Sure the admins at their school may or may not have done their due diligence, but it sure as heck wasn't that senior's fault, whose final career home game was not played?

How about those kids who were all fired up in the first weeks of the season only to have the weather cancel their games? The coaches could have found a time to play. Yes, it is inconvenient, but it could get done. Of course some make the effort and get it done.

You only get 10 weeks to play. For these kids it is almost 99.9% certain that this is the last organized football they will play. 10 games a season. You practice all of that time and you really want to cancel or forfeit because your feeling are hurt or it will take a little effort?

Sucking it up and making the effort would be the best lesson you could teach YOUR kids. Accept someone's apology. Lest he who hath no sin cast the first stone. We've all been there. We've all had our ass kicked by life. Sure a forfeit sounds sweet, but what lesson is to be gained by not playing?

devils advocate":ovamr4t5 said:
For the kids! I am sick of ppl claiming they are always doing things for the kids then having their actions speak otherwise. This was all about getting a W. This was never about the kids.

Mistakes are made. It's the same, weather happens. If you really want to make up a game, you can. Think about the High Island kids. Is it their fault the refs didn't show? Sure the admins at their school may or may not have done their due diligence, but it sure as heck wasn't that senior's fault, whose final career home game was not played?

How about those kids who were all fired up in the first weeks of the season only to have the weather cancel their games? The coaches could have found a time to play. Yes, it is inconvenient, but it could get done. Of course some make the effort and get it done.

You only get 10 weeks to play. For these kids it is almost 99.9% certain that this is the last organized football they will play. 10 games a season. You practice all of that time and you really want to cancel or forfeit because your feeling are hurt or it will take a little effort?

Sucking it up and making the effort would be the best lesson you could teach YOUR kids. Accept someone's apology. Lest he who hath no sin cast the first stone. We've all been there. We've all had our ass kicked by life. Sure a forfeit sounds sweet, but what lesson is to be gained by not playing?
Sometimes I get on here and read something that just makes me shake my head. Sometimes, I start typing a response and then hear my mother speaking to me from the heavens saying to leave it alone, with the "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all". But then, when I start to think that some threads should just be thrown away as the garbage that they are, along comes someone with something worthwhile. This is one of those. There should be a "like" button just for that reason. I can't add to it to make it better, all i can do is agree wholeheartedly that what this person said is dead on.
It should be required reading to even post on this board.
I have learned to ask myself this question anytime I'm making a decision involving kids. "Is this what is best for the kids? Or is this what is best for me?" If the answer is not what is best for the kids, I sit down and start over until I get the right answer.
Great post devils advocate!!!

If High Island forfeits then they drop to 0-2 in district leaving the last game of the season as the deciding game. If they beat Buckholts they are in, if they lose they are out. With that said, if High Island wins (by forfeit or outright) then they still have to take care of business against Buckholts to play in the playoffs. Either way Week 11 is the most important. By not rescheduling the biggest loss is that the athletes miss out on a football game. The best interest of the kids is to play that game. If this was an early week then there is no point, its district though. They say a win is a win... but not if its a forfeit. Who really feels happy about that?

I understand the frustration in having no refs. Our first year of six-man was like that. Granted it was not district games that it happened, but it happened and the games were played anyway. Used coaches from each team and even our trainer. Whoever could help. It was all about the competition and letting the kids have their time on the field. The right calls weren't always made, but hey, I see the same thing sometimes with the striped guys that get paid. But everyone is human.

Question is..did the kids chose not to play because they already made one trip and really did not want to play another game or two games in one week? Or did Administration chose because of the additional cost? Both are legitimate although I cannot see the football players not wanting to play. But if pride enters the picture and you want to punish someone for a mistake...shame on you. That punishes the kids on both sides and that's not putting kids first.

That said, I don't think this thread really puts out all the facts in the forfeit, just a few. It's unwise to jump to conclusions without all the facts. What it does do however, is show us that these things can happen and you need to have a contingency plan for when it does. That, IMO, really should start with the district committees.

I hate this happened to the Cardinal Seniors on their last home game. They seemed like a class act on the football field when we played them and I hate that they will miss celebrating their last game on their home turf. Win or lose it is always a memory to keep forever.

Unbelievable. Admits that High Island was willing to do whatever it took for this game to occur, even as far as giving up their Senior night to travel to Prairie Lea to play the game. But this guy, this "coach" gets on the message boards and bad mouths as school district and a fellow coach on the message boards. You, your school, your kids, and your community should be embarrassed. You talk about how you are "going in the right direction," well I for one disagree. Good Luck on your next job, because if this administration was smart, you would be gone.

I don't believe in trashing other schools but I do think if the Ref's were scheduled to work a game they should keep their commitment.

You don't know all the facts. They could of played at PL. This is my last post on this thread. At least I have the courage to not hide behind some fake name. I seldom ever post on this site because I feel people hide behind their fake name. It is easy to give an opinion when hiding.

I don't hide my name. Everyone on this site knows who I am. I read the facts but if the ref's had of shown up this thread would not of ever happened.

Solve the problem. Everyone join your football chapter and become officials. Scratch everything but 1a on your sheet. then we have a flood of officials. if it was not for physical limitations, I would go back to officiating.

If we take a look from a different perspective.
Prairie Lea to High Island is roughly 230 miles, one way. Say you take a small bus or vehicle and give it 10mpg, that is 23 gallons of gas one way. Give it a good rate at $2.85 per gallon and you get around $65 one way for gas alone. Being such a long trip you would hope meals get included, if there are only 6 kids and 1 coach that is 7 mouths. Splurge on them at $5 each and you hit $100 just making the trip TO High Island. From the word on the street, Prairie Lea isn't booming with oil money like many other schools. Money comes into play at times like this. After getting some of the information it makes you realize what might be going on.

Add all that cost to the fact that the game then is rescheduled for a Monday, so the kids end up missing most of the school day Monday, and return home at a midnight, if you are VERY conservative on a school night. It sicks for all the students involved, but I don't blame Prairie Lea one bit for the decision not to make that second trip.

Just my opinion fellas... I feel for prairie lea but if I were the coach and had only 6 kids playing and had to travel over 200 miles to play a game I would dang sure get on the phone with the other team to make sure all was in line before i wasted my time as well as many other parents. As for high island as it is pretty much a guarantee to have officials it does happen from time to time they get schedules confused and you guys are def responsible. I doubt Prairie wanted to travel again when in fact they were probably going to get it handed to them anyway but Win or lose these kids heed to play. You can't take back anything and we all know we would all love to just have " one more play"!!

Lots of different ways to look at this situation. I've seen refs show up late even after they were confirmed. I'm also pretty sure the Supe. at PL had something to say about driving to HI again ($). What if there was NO $ to go? I wonder if they tried to find a half way point to play? Man...this one's hrd to call. You better hope it never happens to you.

Back