Recap of Duncanville/Amarillo Heritage Game

old_dad

11-man fan
FalconCoach

I wasn't there but found this on the Amarillo Newspaper website.

Web-posted Sunday, November 23, 2008
Heritage stumbles in playoffs

Heritage Classical missed three two-point kicks in its 88-82 loss to Duncanville Christway in the TAPPS Division II Area Round at Chilacothe Saturday.

The Eagles (8-4) and Duncanville traded blows back and forth for three quarters until Heritage Classical failed to complete what would have been a touchdown catch and turned it over on downs. Duncanville (9-3) then had the momentum and was able to outscore Heritage Classical by 14 points in the fourth quarter to take the 60-50 lead.

Montana O'Dell did his best to keep the Eagles in the game by rushing 32 times for 258 yards and four touchdowns as well as completing 7 of 13 passes including five scoring tosses. O'Dell also converted 7 of 10 two-point kicks.

Duncanville Christway 8 32 20 28 -88

Heritage Classical 14 30 6 32 -82

HC-Montana O'Dell 4 run (O'Dell kick)

DC-46 run (kick)

HC-Beno Scott 18 pass from O'Dell (kick block)

DC-56 run (kick)

HC-James Richardson 80 kickoff return (O'Dell kick)

DC-23 pass (kick)

HC-Richardson 37 run (kick failed)

DC-5 pass (kick)

HC-Scott 13 pass from O'Dell (O'Dell kick)

DC-37 pass (kick)

HC-Scott 55 pass from O'Dell (O'Dell kick)

DC-24 pass kick blocked

HC-Richardson 12 pass from O'Dell (kick failed)

DC-38 run (kick failed)

DC-36 (kick)

HC-Scott 31 pass from O'Dell (O'Dell kick)

DC-55 run (kick blocked)

DC-79 run (kick)

HC-O'Dell 23 run (O'Dell kick)

HC-O'Dell 28 run (O'Dell kick)

DC-44 run (kick)

HC-O'Dell 4 run (O'Dell kick)

DC-42 pass (kick failed)

Duncanville Heritage Cl.

First Downs 19 20

Rushing Yards 500 412

Passing Yards 214 136

Total Yards 714 548

Comp-Att-INT 12-18-0 7-13-1

Punts-Avg. 0-0 1-20

Fumbles-Lost 1-1 3-0

Penalties-Yards 7-40 7-60

It was a classic six man game that went back and forth the entire game. Because of what was at stake and the high level at which it was played this game was the greatest game I have been apart of in nine years of coaching six-man. Both teams gave it their all and we feel very blessed to have come out with a win. And yes there was some defense played by both teams. Christway's two interceptions in the fourth quarter helped win the game.
To Coach Sanders your coaching staff and your players, well done. Hope to see you again at the state meeting.
Coach O'Connor

Old Dad - Wish you could have been there, missed that loud horn of yours. Hope you can carrivan with the school next week to our game. We are searching for a spot and hope to have it taken care of by Monday afternoon.

Old Dad,

Thank you for posting that...looking at the stats, it looked like a fantastic game.

Congratulations to Coach O'Connor...way to represent our District! Good luck next week, we'll be rooting for you over here at Fulton. And congratulations to Coach Sanders too on making to the final 8. Your team is a class act, and you are a heckuva good coach too.

It was a shame the way the bracket was set...in my opinion Christway and HCA Amarillo are 2 of the top 4 in the state and deserved to be in the semi's.

What a game! It came down to who had the least number of injuries. After scoring with 30 seconds left in the 4th, Christway was able to hold out against Amarillo's team who could not drive the entire length of the field due to all of their receivers having injuries. It was quite possibly the greatest football game I have EVER been able to be a part of. It was a heart-breaking loss for Heritage Classical but we couldn't have lost to a team with better sportsmanship. We were blessed to play many games against some very well-behaved players this year but Christway really stepped up and raised the bar. Both teams fought hard against each other but after every play there were smiles, jokes, and compliments traded back and forth...as a coach, that was my favorite part of the entire game. My compliments must be given to Coach O'Connor for putting together such a well-coached, considerate group of boys. Special consideration must be given to Duncanville's own #1...he was the heart of the team with energy that flowed out of him in the form of compliments and he was ALWAYS quick to jump up and give a hand to the Heritage Classical player that he had just tackled. It's always hard to lose a game (especially such a close game that is in the playoffs) but losing to a team with such a Christian spirit sure eases the pain. Full kudos to all of Christway's team, coaching staff, and fans! Win state for us Coach O'Connor...tell all of your boys that we are rooting for you! I see this team beating Fredericksburg in the finals!

thanks coach it was also fun playing agianst your players they also showed great sportsmanship...and i would still like to have 13# and 7# trading card lol jk...but it was fun playing agiast your team

hoorah!!!

Back