R.I.P Jerry Hargraves

Vincent J. Davis

Six-man fan
The 6man community lost a great man today. Coach Jerry Hargraves was my head coach at Duncanville Christway during my senior season in 2009. After losing my favorite coach Sean O’Connor during my Junior year that spring I didn’t know where I would end up my senior year because I was ready to move on from Christway. Coach Hargraves was hired about two weeks before we reported to camp in August of 2009 and he gave me a call and said I’m going to need you to stay man, now I wasn’t the greatest football player but my IQ for 6 man was by far the best around. You see at Christway in Duncanville we got a bad reputation by some of the other schools and parents. It was hard being a mostly African American team in Tapps because the league never supported us and couldn’t stand us.. they said us Christway kids wouldn’t amount to anything in life, they said we were dumb, we weren’t book smart.. etc... the list goes on and on. Coach Hargraves always said to never listen to any of the clowns on these boards or in the stands when we traveled. We had no home game senior year, we used one of our portable classrooms as our “locker room” we barely had enough money to eat, barely had enough for gas for the bus .. etc... we never earned the respect from any schools... even after beating Brenham in the Tapps d2 title game in 2009 the people still didn’t respect us. My goal was to get an AD job at any private school in the Dallas area for 6man so I could bring my former coach back into the private school ranks. Coach Hargraves kept me in tact all throughout college. He helped me through stressful times during grad school, he was so proud of me when at the age of 25 last year I graduated with a Masters degree.. I remember him telling me “Hey man, I could’ve sworn they said those Christway kids wouldn’t be anything in life... well most of us “dumb Christway kids” have graduated with college degrees and some have even started their own businesses... I love you coach Hargraves and may god rest your soul my brother!!! Much love!!

God Bless,

Vincent J. Davis, MS

Thank you Vince for this!! Jerry I love you bro so much. Thank you for being one of my biggest supporters. God has a plan brother. And if you were the one person alive he still would have very much paid that price for you. Roommate, college teammate, groomsmen, coach together, friend. I am thankful to have known you for 15 years. I love you!! My heart hurts so bad right now.

Blessings,

Coach Johnson
Wichita Christian

Back