questions for homeschool coaches

i was curious as to how yall are funded
do yall get paied and where does that money come from
do yall have a booster club like group for funding
where do yall practice
and is there any money available to homeschool athletics as in grants or anything like that
feel free to p.m if you dont want all the info public

I can't speak for all home school teams but the majority of home school programs as well as some of the small private schools, charge a fee to play sports. Our school charges an additional $350.00 to play football. However, we do have a booster club that helps with funding. Home school families are very committed to whatever their children are involved with. Hope this helps!

Billy is pretty much on the mark on this one.

A home school team is financed by the folks whose kids participate on the team; you might have some home school cooperative organization that handles the money, but the financiers of the team are the parents. Perhaps some of the longer-operating groups "hand down" equipment as their children leave the program/graduate/move/whatever.

Each organization, be it a formal organization or an informal group, operates on its own, by its own set of rules. Perhaps the parents set up a booster club. I'd recommend (for liability purposes) that some sort of legal entity be established just so some dad coach doesn't have all the direct liability in case of a catastrophic injury -- and waivers and other sorts of legal documents and health/physical exam paperwork is a necessity.

I would doubt many of these groups have paid coaches; it's a volunteer labor of love.

Practice facilities range from city parks to dad's backyard to football fields. Some of them are rented, some are borrowed, and I wouldn't be suprised if in some cases, the kids and coaches just show up at some park or field and practice.

Some groups have a field they rent/borrow for games and have home games. Expect that the gate will NOT cover the cost of rental, officials and other expenses, so you can expect to pass the hat among the players families to cover any shortfall.

\

Back