Punt downed by kicking team

KW2003

11-man fan
I sm probably being too impatient and not looking it up myself, but here goes. When a kicking team player with his heels in the endzone reaches out and downs a punted ball at the 1 foot line, it is not a touchback and belongs to the receiving team at the 1-foot line. What rule references this play?

Not a touchback. This is referenced in the definition of a touchback on page FR-41. Think of it the same as scoring a TD where the ball has to break the plane of the goalline and not the location of the player. The same is true for a touchback in your scenario. The ball would have to break the plane of the goalline in order for there to be a touchback.

I don't know for sure, but I think you are confusing the NFL rule where they try to leap from the field of play and if they can bat the ball back in the field of play without either the ball or themselves touching in the EZ they are good, at least I think that is the NFL rule. See Jason's post for NCAA/Texas HS rule.

The rule I do not have a problem with, but specifically pointing it out in the rule book is a little different. The rule 6-1a is written in such a way that if a person would casually read the rule it would appear that touching the ball while in the endzone would make it a touchback.

Maybe I can try to clear it up, or at least make it so muddy that you can't see through the water at all... :)

6.6 Catch or Recovery by Kicking Team
ARTICLE 6. a. If a player of the kicking team catches or recovers a scrimmage kick that has crossed the neutral zone, the ball becomes dead (A.R. 6-3-1-IV).
The ball belongs to the receiving team at the dead-ball spot.

6.11 Loose Behind the Goal Line
ARTICLE 11. If a scrimmage kick untouched by Team B after crossing the neutral zone is batted in Team B’s end zone by a player of Team A, it is a violation for illegal touching (Rule 6-3-2).

I cut out some othere aspects of these particular rules, but these are the primary statements we are working on, I think. Note that in 6.11 it says "if a scrimmage kick"... "is batted in Team B's end zone" ...

Now we want to make sure what the "end zone" in particular we are focused on what the "goal line" is

ARTICLE 2. The goal line at each end of the field of play runs between the sidelines and is part of the vertical plane that separates the end zone from the field of play. This plane extends between and includes the pylons. ... The entire goal line is in the end zone....

So the kick is the important part of the scenario, it matters not where the player is in our situation as the location of the Team A player isn't even addressed in the rule. The only part addressed is the kick and whether or not it is in the end zone, and the kick is "in the end zone" as soon as it (the ball) penetrates the GL.

Sometimes circular logic is the only logic we have...

AR 2-12-2-I
Team A's untouched scrimmage kick strikes thr ground in the field of play and breaks the plane of Tean B's goal line. While the ball is in the air over the end zone, A81, who is either on the one-yard line or in the end zone, bats the ball into the field of play. RULING: Violation for illegal touching (Rule 6-3-11). Team B may accept the result of the play or next snap the ball at its 20-yard line (Exception: Rule 8-4-2-b).

Not exactly your play but shows that for this situation in the NCAA it is all about the goal line plane

Back