Player eligibility

TheWylieSaints

11-man fan
I am looking for some clarification on player eligibility at the Jr. High level. We are a homeschool team in the DFW area and this will be our 3rd season. What is the cut off date for a boy turning 14 to still be on a Jr. High team? Do they have to still be 13 by a certain date to still be on a Jr. High team? Need some firm clarification in this area. Thanks!

If I am not mistaken and I could be, its the same as a senior who is turning 19. If they turn 19 AFTER Sept 1 of senior year, they can play. If they turn 19 before Sept 1 of Senior year they are ineligible unless a valid reason for special education has held them back. I think same rules apply for the question you asked.

Wylie.....UIL covers your question in section 1478. To participate at the 7th grade level you have to turn 14 after Sept 1. For 8th grade the age limit is 15.

) ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR SEVENTH AND EIGHTH GRADE
PARTICIPANTS. An individual may participate in League athletic competition or contests as a
representative of a participant school if he/she:
(1) Has met the requirements of Section
1400 (a) regarding general eligibility:
(2) For seventh grade athletic competition, has not reached his/her 14th birthday on or before
September 1, and has not enrolled in the ninth grade.
(3) For eighth grade athletic competition, has not reached his/her 15th birthday on or before
September 1, and has not enrolled in the ninth grade

For UIL, the rules should be here.

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/constitut ... n-1478.pdf

There is no state-wide organization that administers eligibility for private school junior high athletic eligibility. In many metropolitan areas, there are leagues which have formed that have varying levels of rules and discussions about same.

For example, in the San Antonio area, I am aware of at least four such groups: Archdiocesan Interscholastic Athletic League (AIAL) for Catholic Schools, Christian Athletic League of San Antonio (CALSA), primarily the smaller non-Catholic private schools and the Independent Schools Athletic League (ISAL) for the larger private schools. There is also a six-man league, the South Texas Football Conference (STFC) which may include members of each of those leagues.

From the leagues where I have been involved (CALSA and STFC), the general rule is that students must be enrolled in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades (no 9th grade students), have a maximum of 3 consecutive years to compete starting with 6th grade enrollment and be no older than 15 as of September 1 (we took the 19 age for high school and went back four years).

I would seriously suggest any junior high league that forms spend a couple minutes drawing up general eligibility rules. Doesn't have to be Tolstoy's War & Peace length, but you'd better make it clear. It's amazing how many times that "little ninth grader" slips by and what a shock ... he's the athlete of the year for the league.

Oh yeah, and when you draw up those rules, get the coach, athletic director, principal and the pastor to sign off on them. Equally amazing how often you would hear that gosh, oh, golly gee, ol' Fred who ain't here no more musta agreed to these and none of us, as pure as the wind-driven snow, would ever willingly break the rules. And by the way, it's for the kids ... especially my kid who is hands-down the best athlete in the (insert name of city, county, state, nation or planet here).

It does happen. I remember sitting in on a meeting for a league we were thinking of joining. Next item of business was a question of eligibility. Seems one of the schools had played a kid in junior high for five years. The school gave its report, and basically said, yeah, we messed up, it was wrong, and threw themselves on the league's mercy for punishment. Another representative from another school asked, "Is that Pastor 'x's' son?" The school said yes. And that was the end of the discussion. It took me three hours to get my jaw back up into its socket from hitting the floor.

Thanks. We had a player that will turn 14 in June but is homeschooled. He will be in the 9th grade in the fall so he can't play on the Jr. High team. We have had some problems with this in our area. Teams using the first half of the rule but not the second half where it states that they would also NOT be enrolled in 9th grade. I appreciate the clarification and the copy of the UIL rule.

TheWylieSaints":ynnchj85 said:
Thanks. We had a player that will turn 14 in June but is homeschooled. He will be in the 9th grade in the fall so he can't play on the Jr. High team. We have had some problems with this in our area. Teams using the first half of the rule but not the second half where it states that they would also NOT be enrolled in 9th grade. I appreciate the clarification and the copy of the UIL rule.

Homeschooling does raise a few issues that are a little tougher.

You need to have the parent identify the grade level that the student is academically performing at. For example, if the kid is really bright and is 13 but at the 9th grade level, sorry, he's a high school student.

But sometimes, I've seen parents (sometimes when they have decided they wish to discontinue home schooling and enroll the kids in a school) insist their kid is performing above grade level and when they are tested, fall at or below the same grade level. And sometimes, the grade level a parent wants to identify his/her kid academically tends to be a higher grade level than they are willing to identify their kid for athletic purposes.

It's the former (academics) that applies. And sometimes that takes checking mom or dad's ego at the door. But I'm gonna stop here, because anything more will really get me into trouble.

Any school or home school group with home school athletes probably should have the parent identify the grade level of his/her kid at a fairly early point in the athletic process (first year of junior high). And putting it in writing probably woudn't be a bad idea.

Just my two cents as a Home School Coach- Unfortunatley it is a little tougher than "enrolled grade". I have several athletes that are currently performing at a "parent determined" higher grade level than their age in certain subjects (English, History) and below grade level in others (Math, Biology)...

We do allow the parents to give us a "determined" grade level for point of entrance to the program, but more heavily weigh the age component given the wide fluxtuation in grade levels based on the subject...

I know that this gives a lot of folks indigestion that the Home School Community tries to take advantage, but I believe that we are doing a 14 year old working at a 9th grade level a diservice playing heads up across from an 18 year old senior.... As coaches, we need to watch out for the safety of our players...A team of 14 year olds CAN NOT compete with a team of 17 and 18 year olds. I watched that game several times last season and while there are a handful of 14 year olds that can play at the Senior High level, they are few and far between...I watched my guys get smacked around by men while we were fielding boys all season last year...

I think that Wylie is in the same situation we were in building a program up from a Junior High level and just now getting into a Varsity schedule a couple of years later...

I may be wrong, but just my 2 cents...

Wylie, feel free to call me and I will be happy to share how the majority home school team operates concerning JH athletes. We use the UIL rule as a guideline but a 13 year old "bright kid" doesn't have any business playing HS football.

Billy Helm
TRIBE Consolidated
512-748-7931

Back