Penn State ... is it just me or was Joe Pa railroaded?

freeagent

Six-man pro
Okay, let's first make this clear. Whatever the former assistant coach (who left in 1999 but was still using PSU facilities several years later and something "between the lines" tells me that the departure in 1999 might have been related to the current charges) is WRONG and DESPICABLE. I hope he gets tossed in the deepest, darkest prison cell in Pennsylvania and then has a rotten time.

But there's part of me that says Joe Paterno got the shaft on this deal. Of course, there is probably more to the story than is being reported, but if what is being reported is right, there is sure a lot more people more culpable to fault here than Joe.

From what I read, Joe was informed of the charges by the father of one of the boys (after being directed to do so by a grad assistant who now is a PSU assistant coach, who witnessed the event). Joe went to his superiors (the AD at PSU) and informed them of what happened, which is what I would have done in the same instance. Oh, and remember that Joe Pa is very accessible in State College. Everybody in town knows where he lives and at least until recently, you could find a listing for "Paterno, Joseph V" in the local phone book.

A DA who, with evidence refused to charge the guy years before. At least one other previous event was reported and the janitor who saw it also reported it to his superiors who told the janitor to call the cops (the janitor was a temporay employee and did not do so, perhaps out of fear that he could be terminated ... State College is not a very large town and Penn State is the major employer -- I know, I nearly had a job in that town after college and it wasn't with Penn State).

I'm thinking of a local instance a couple years ago here that involved a co-worker of my wife, a school teacher. A girl student informs the co-worker that she has been having sex with a local policeman who is providing security at the school. The co-worker doesn't call the police -- she contacts the school authorities, who call the police chief directly (the cop was fired and convicted). Now, if somebody in the school hierarchy doesn't feel that the charges have merit -- or wants to protect someone (which, hey, I know does happen) -- do you expect someone who may be concerned about their future to go over the boss's head and make a stink .... and yes, I do understand that Joe Paterno probably didn't need to worry about his job (until a couple days ago).

It just stinks. 'Cause Joe is one of the good guys and should have been allowed to go out on his own terms, especially after earlier in the day he announced his resignation.

The entire situation was handled poorly. Paterno appeared to be covering up. I don't care if there was not enough evidence to prosecute, if there is a hint of misconduct you should err on the side of caution.

Lifegate, you left something out. It's my understanding that JoPa, when he talked to his AD, also talked to the admin who is responsible for the PSU Police Dept. Not having witnessed anything himself, how could JoPa file a police report? I guess JoPa could have followed up and worked a little harder to find out what the results of an investigation were, but would any one else have?

Yes, I think the ball got dropped bad by a lot of people on this situation. The AD and admin in charge of the campus police are going to be tried for a crime, as they should be if they covered things up. From what I've seen and heard so far, JoPa is getting the shaft on this deal.

i dont have a lot of info but of what i have read i think that he did his due diligence and informed the AD and the police and it would be and should be in their hands to handle and, then he should handle the issue with the individual if it was within his realm responsibilities. most boards choose to live in the shadows when the sh_t gets deep and throw anyone under the bus to deflect the light shining in their own eyes

oldfat&bald":5pck0jkd said:
Lifegate, you left something out. It's my understanding that JoPa, when he talked to his AD, also talked to the admin who is responsible for the PSU Police Dept. Not having witnessed anything himself, how could JoPa file a police report? I guess JoPa could have followed up and worked a little harder to find out what the results of an investigation were, but would any one else have?

Yes, I think the ball got dropped bad by a lot of people on this situation. The AD and admin in charge of the campus police are going to be tried for a crime, as they should be if they covered things up. From what I've seen and heard so far, JoPa is getting the shaft on this deal.
kbjoe1":5pck0jkd said:
i dont have a lot of info but of what i have read i think that he did his due diligence and informed the AD and the police and it would be and should be in their hands to handle and, then he should handle the issue with the individual if it was within his realm responsibilities. most boards choose to live in the shadows when the sh_t gets deep and throw anyone under the bus to deflect the light shining in their own eyes
I agree with both of you based on the info that we have, JoPa is and has gotten the shaft for sure.

Absoultely got railroaded. Penn State is trying to cover this up by firing the most influential person and figure head of the school, that way people will start talking about something other than the real issue at hand (for the moment) in hopes that after the weekend the talks will die down.

My question is why hasn't McQueary been fired and under investigation. He said he saw the act happen. If it's all true that means He WATCHED as a 10 year old was raped and did nothing. He is a gutless punk not only letting that happen but also watching it. He could have called the police that night and it would have ended there. He didn't. Paterno was going on hearsay from McQueary so he passed the information told to him to his superiors. Everyone is making Paterno out to be the worst of the bunch. Not even close. After Sandusky, It's McQueary. The chicken S%#t WATCHED a 10 year old boy get raped and molested! HE WATCHED!

I bet a lot of you would change your mind if it was your son in this situation and a coach that could have done something but didn't.....Just try to imagine that for a minute.

I understand that he's an icon but to me, that just makes him more influential and responsible. And while I do believe there are many other factors involved and people responsible, he's still one of them. Something could have be done........

And I agree with TheRef59....it's sickening to see the attention being taken off McQueary and focused on Paterno, no matter how small or big his role was in it all.

Was listening to Fox News Channel while doing some house-dad work this morning.

Interesting comment with the info-babe of the morning and a Sports Illustrated reporter.

Seems the graduate assistant (McQueary) that caught the ex-coach performing on the underage kiddo and reported it to the kid's dad with the suggestion to call Joe Pa soon after got a promotion to assistant coach, where he still serves. He witnessed the crime yet he's not (1) fired or (2) charged in the cover-up. There's another easy target, unless he decided to turn state's evidence and implicate higher ups (which maybe wouldn't be that hard).

I hope there was not a correlation between the event and his promotion ... if there was, maybe some case could be made for Joe Pa's involvment. Otherwise, as said above, it sounds like this was a convenient time to dump Joe Pa (although if you're 8-1 as Penn State is, why do it?) and clean house. Or at least the part of the house you want to clean.

Hmmmm....

And yes, it's also more important to look at this from the perspective of the victims, who maybe now years later are dealing (again) with the depravity that took place by this vermin who pushed himself off as a coach.

You know, I almost wish for the days gone by when if some pervert tried this, he'd be dealing with a very upset daddy and often with an upset daddy who knew how to use a gun. Sadly, what usually happened was that the miscreant left town and the farther from town he went, the better recommendation the locals would give on him (figuring that the farther away he was, the less of a problem he would be for them until somebody else somewhere else suffered the same fate).

Speakin' of house cleaning .... gotta go.

ref
i agree, to many times people turn a deaf ear and do not step up. then when something happens to their family they ask y? i use to try to get out of jury duty anyway i could then one day i thought about it and if i was on trial i would not want some of the people i have seen that wanted to be on jury desiding my fate. therefore i do my duty each time im chosen.

I don't know if I would use the term "railroaded". Like it or not Mr. Paterno was the Head Coach and ultimately responsible for the actions of his assistants. Even though Sandusky was not at the time employed by Penn State, he maintained an office on campus and was purported to be a close friend of Paterno.
Did Penn State use the situation to their advantage? Absolutely. Did Paterno know what was going on? If he didn't he wasn't doing his job. Did Paterno deserve to be terminated? He should be very grateful if that is all that happens.
At the very least, he will face civil action if not criminal proceedings.
Don't lose sight of the victims in all this and in my opinion Mr. Paterno chose to become a victim by his act of omission. The children had no choice in the matter.

Paterno should have reported it to the police and his superiors. He was wrong not to say anything to the police. I would have told the police after I heard: "Sandusky and a 10 yr old were in the shower together." I wouldn't even wait to hear the rest....the police needed to be called right then and there.....period. Paterno shouldn't be the only one fired, but I don't think he was railroaded....he got what he deserved. His coaching accolades don't mean squat in this situation.....nada.

With that being said, Paterno will always be a legend in my eyes for what he did on the field....his career isn't tarnished in my eyes......his judgement off the field is, though.

Sorry for being so caught up in this, but it's disgusting. Paterno got fired for his lack of stepping up to the plate. So be it. It's done, it's over. WHY is McQueary still there? A man, a TRUE MAN would have gotten physically involved the moment he saw and registered in his mind what was happening. I say this as a dad. If you tell me what you saw happened to my son, my question, before hitting you with a baseball bat, is "Did you stop it?" "Did you break it up or did you just watch my son be molested?" He had a chance to be a man, a HERO, he chose instead to be a gutless coward! He not only needs to be fired, but charges need to be filed for child endangerment.

TheRef59":2i0t5uxd said:
Sorry for being so caught up in this, but it's disgusting. Paterno got fired for his lack of stepping up to the plate. So be it. It's done, it's over. WHY is McQueary still there? A man, a TRUE MAN would have gotten physically involved the moment he saw and registered in his mind what was happening. I say this as a dad. If you tell me what you saw happened to my son, my question, before hitting you with a baseball bat, is "Did you stop it?" "Did you break it up or did you just watch my son be molested?" He had a chance to be a man, a HERO, he chose instead to be a gutless coward! He not only needs to be fired, but charges need to be filed for child endangerment.
I agree.

Why did Sandusky still have access to the facilities and have an office? That goes straight to JoPa. Trust me, Paterno says who gets in and out.

The president, AD and JoPa all have a history of secrecy. We will be learning new information on this tragedy daily. Reporters are merely breaking the surface on this. Check out si.com or the article written in the Toy Department section of the Baltimore Sun.

It is a horrible story and one that we will be unfortunately talking about for years to come.

Back