Passing Strategies

Tesla Did It

11-man fan
Since we're rolling along so well, let's talk about our passing games!
I was wondering if we should teach all the players the passing tree or have specific players trained and assigned to run specific routes?

This year was my first year to coach six-man football, but one thing I learned was that when you only have 9 kids, everybody better know what everybody's job is because you never know what position you may find yourself playing.

I'm a first year coach as well (only had 10 players), and I went with the passing tree theory. I wanted to keep our offense simple and flexible. I went with a system where a WR would run a #5 pattern just the same way he would if he were the center.

We didn't win a game this year. However, I think that I will use the same system with some major tweeks in the playcalling. As always I would like to hear what others do 'cause I'm not above borrowing a good idea.

We used wrist coaches and had the actual routes listed by position for each passing play, and each passing play was a number. For example: if I called Trips Right 1, on the wrist coach, kids would look at play one for our trips formation and then find their position (outside receiver is #1, middle is #2, inside receiver #3) and next to their position would have the route they ran. Since my QB ran all the plays in, if I wanted to change a route, I would just tell my QB to tell whatever receiver whose route would change to run whatever route I wanted him to. Not real sophisticated, but really simple and our passing game was actually pretty effective.

Problem with the passing tree is it can limit your recievers ability to run routes off of each other. It's fine for offenses with limited passing and/or lack of superior QB and WR talent. If you've got the goods in that area, more defined plays with routes drawn and assigned to specific players and/or positions will yield more success especially against the better, quicker defenses. Also don't eliminate the X route for a good QB/WR combo. Everybody should still know all the routes on any given play. Kids can learn most anything they're made too. Not all kids, but 99% of them. Don't throw away the tree though, but make sure it only contains your most valuable routes as that is the quickest in game adjustment for a new play. Just my opinion.

We used the the passing tree and we threw the ball extremely well for yards and td's. We ran alot of trips and a quick passing game with a 3 step drop. The routes were very easy to call for all 3 routes, but we did have rules for the other 2 receivers.

Tesla Did It....

If I were you, I'd get my hands on ONE or BOTH of the following.....

ANY game tape of Greenville Christian or 2007 and 2008 of Pine Drive....

These two programs threw the ball exceptionally well

Greenville Christian - Uland
Pine Drive - Ware

A pretty good strategy I liked to use I called the "threat multiplier". But it has to be prepared from the first day of 2-a-days and reinforced daily and weekly. But shouldn't all strategies be.

Get a copy of Sun Tzu's The Art of War and concentrate on his theory of "indirect" war using deception. It will give you some better ideas than I could expound upon.
Sun Tzu was a 5th century chinese general whose treatise has been used by modern military leaders, politicians and businessmen. WW IIs Gen. Patton and France's Napoleon used it extensively. It is a short work but can be difficult to read bcause it assumed the reader would have working knowledge of Taoism, which I do not. You might be able to find a cliffnote or summary online that could be helpful. There are some good ideas in it!

You won't find the term "threat multiplier" anywhere in it. I wanted a self-evident term that would easily stick to my mind. Focus on the words "deception" and "indirect" while reading Sun's work.

I didn't find modern football theory very helpful because of the vastly different dynamics involved with sixman...referring to the pass game, now. Of course your run, tackle and block games can be benefited by the Lombardi and Gordon Woods of the world.. Since the 1980s they have published some must-reads on the Westcoast Offense, and more recently some on the Spread. I even have a copy of Football for Dummies which I found very appealing because it approaches the game from a purely fundamental point-of-view, but journey's deep into the latest passing game theory. Most of this you will not find palatable, and yet it only takes one or two ideas to improve your game exponentially. While it is true that "the way to success is to do a common thing uncommonly well"; to improve your chances for winning a championship, it is best to do things that no one else can do at your level.

Hey, it's more than worth the effort...every year teams exit the playoffs who had the same quality talent as the team that beat them, sometimes more. This year there were three or four teams with just as much talent on the field as the eventual state champions, but the determining factor was on the sideline rather than the field.
I'll be honest...I got outcoached in the semi-finals against Throckmorton in 2004. We won only because of our defense. It certainly won't be the last time, I'm sure. But I learned thru pain how not to approach a game from that moment onward. If you can get a copy of Gordon Wood's book, Game Plan to Winning Football , do so, the benefits will surprise you. He honestly admits when and why he lost many of his playoff games during his career. And most of the time the reason was because of some subtle element he failed to address -or fix- when it showed its ugly head. Much wisdom can be gained from such humble confessions.

Good luck!!

Back