One more week.

CoachMatlock

Six-man fan
As we enter into our final week of summer, I just wanted to wish all the coaches and teams good luck. My prayer is that we all play this season without serious injury. Its my favorite time of year. I love the feel, the smell, the passion, and the memories that come with football season. I am blessed to get to work in this profession and I'm thankful for the friendships that I have made along the way.

Fans, I know I speak for most of us coaches.... We will do our best. We will try to make the right calls, we will try to play the right players and we will also try to set the right examples. Spoiler alert... We wont get it all right. It bothers us more than it bothers you. I am my own worst critic. I am relentless in my own head. I know that for me this job is a calling and therefore I answer to a higher power. I believe someday I will have to give an account for my time with these athletes. Did I teach them more than football or was winning all I could see? As coaches we are competitive, its who we are. We also know that so much more is at stake than wins and losses. Are our programs turning out good young men, good young employees, and good future family leaders? Yes its great to make playoffs and read all the debates (and friendly trash talk), but I believe a coach's success is measured by so much more. So when you get annoyed at us coaches, and you will, I ask that you go visit with your coach. Before you vent on social media, give him the benefit of the doubt and have a conversation. You will usually see that we really are doing what we think is best for the team and kids.

Good luck again to all and safe travels throughout the season. God bless.

Last edited:
That is a great point. I don’t believe any official shows up to a game hoping to miss calls. I believe most are doing their absolute best.
I pray they are all in physical shape. It's a demanding job mentally and physically and the heat will be brutal. Especially this year. I noticed last year that several refs looked like they were 2 cheeseburgers away from a heart attack.

I pray they are all in physical shape. It's a demanding job mentally and physically and the heat will be brutal. Especially this year. I noticed last year that several refs looked like they were 2 cheeseburgers away from a heart attack.
Your local chapter could definitely use a fine physical specimen as yourself... (seriously, we need all the help we can get!)

ALL officials are trying their best. We do it for the love of the game, and if more people don't step up, Friday Night Lights will become more and more Thursday Night Lights. Be grateful for the officials you do have, appreciate them, and recognize that they are human and make mistakes - there aren't any extras to go around; and if they weren't there, you wouldn't be playing on a Friday most likely.

Your local chapter could definitely use a fine physical specimen as yourself... (seriously, we need all the help we can get!)

ALL officials are trying their best. We do it for the love of the game, and if more people don't step up, Friday Night Lights will become more and more Thursday Night Lights. Be grateful for the officials you do have, appreciate them, and recognize that they are human and make mistakes - there aren't any extras to go around; and if they weren't there, you wouldn't be playing on a Friday most likely.
I would love to officiate 6 man football. But I'm too old and I am having back surgery next month. The strain of umpiring over 5,000 softball games finally caught up with me.

As we enter into our final week of summer, I just wanted to wish all the coaches and teams good luck. My prayer is that we all play this season without serious injury. Its my favorite time of year. I love the feel, the smell, the passion, and the memories that come with football season. I am blessed to get to work in this profession and I'm thankful for the friendships that I have made along the way.

Fans, I know I speak for most of us coaches.... We will do our best. We will try to make the right calls, we will try to play the right players and we will also try to set the right examples. Spoiler alert... We wont get it all right. It bothers us more than it bothers you. I am my own worst critic. I am relentless in my own head. I know that for me this job is a calling and therefore I answer to a higher power. I believe someday I will have to give an account for my time with these athletes. Did I teach them more than football or was winning all I could see? As coaches we are competitive, its who we are. We also know that so much more is at stake than wins and losses. Are our programs turning out good young men, good young employees, and good future family leaders? Yes its great to make playoffs and read all the debates (and friendly trash talk), but I believe a coach's success is measured by so much more. So when you get annoyed at us coaches, and you will, I ask that you go visit with your coach. Before you vent on social media, give him the benefit of the doubt and have a conversation. You will usually see that we really are doing what we think is best for the team and kids.

Good luck again to all and safe travels throughout the season. God bless.
Well said Coach, we are ready to support you guys 100% and can’t wait to see everyone get after it.

Back