Nostalgia - This week in 1965

11-man fan
For the History buffs. hahaha

Attachments

• This week in sixman Brownwood Bulletin - October 22, 1965, Brownwood, Texas.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 1,686
  • This week in sixman Gatesville Messenger And Star Forum - October 22, 1965, Gatesville, Texas.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 5,550
rainjacktx":1aniehww said:
I love the way the sports writers used to write. You don't see that much anymore.
Yea, and the further back you go, the more flowery the speech is.
You can almost guess the era just by the way they write.

He was just a winner, wasn't he?
T-ville went out in a blaze of glory in '66, then J-boro wins their first district championship in '67.
Then his coaching exploits.

Could have been something in the water. haha

P.T. Lemmons retirement is in the same archive if anyone wants me to post it. I wonder if only the Coryell county folks will know what im taling about :)

Attachments

• Turnersville School closure 1967, The Gatesville messenger March 24 1967.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 5,443
And a little further North....on 9/17/65 in Tolar, Gordon beat them 16-0. Over in Paint Creek Strawn beat them 37-27. Tricky Ricky Perry would have been a sophmore on the PC team (note:
PC does not stand for politically correct in this case).

Not sure if any did. Got the info off lonestarfootball website. Not impossible Fort Worth or Abilene might have but probably not. Mineral Well Index for Strawn-Gordon? Stephenville?
Granbury for Tolar?

And a little further North....on 9/17/65 in Tolar, Gordon beat them 16-0. Over in Paint Creek Strawn beat them 37-27. Tricky Ricky Perry would have been a sophmore on the PC team (note: PC does not stand for politically correct in this case).

Not sure what you are trying to say here???? who beat who??

Just a footnote: Paint Creek had another young man in the same grade as Tricky, and to my recollection he was far and away the better player. His name escapes me, but that is what I remember.

If your thread is refering to last weekend, I.E. 9/16, 9/17 in 1965 then ........ The Gordon Longhorns beat the Tolar Rattlers (now 11 man) in Tolar 16-0. The Strawn Grey Hounds beat the Paint Creek Pirates 37-27 in Paint Creek. And guvna good hair might have played some in that game.

oh haha, yes I was thinking thats what you meant but wasn't sure.I couldn't get the clippings to it. I believe Mineral Wells has the archive. I checked gatesville along with some other areas and couldn't get anything on them.

The article #51 posted about Turnersville closing down stated there would be 19 boys returning, that there was a choice of about 4 schools they could transfer to, and that most of them would go to Jonesboro.
Turnersville finished 11-0-1 in '66.
Jonesboro finished 4-6 in '66 and 9-1 in '67.
It sure would be interesting to know how many of those T'ville players made a big impact on that '67 team.

I'll see if I can cross refrence names some time over the next weel. Might come up with something. We know Mr. Pruitt was one :)

If I remember from my forays into the Gainesville paper archives, there were 4 Turnersville boys who were Jonesboro starters the next year, including Mr Pruitt.

Back