Non-teacher coaches

Coach_Waters

11-man fan
Hi all, I’m in Michigan and have been coaching baseball basketball and football (11man) for the last couple years and was curious if there are any coaching jobs in Texas that don’t require a teaching certificate. From what I’ve seen in the forums almost all the coaching positions require that you teach as well.

Thanks

Hi all, I’m in Michigan and have been coaching baseball basketball and football (11man) for the last couple years and was curious if there are any coaching jobs in Texas that don’t require a teaching certificate. From what I’ve seen in the forums almost all the coaching positions require that you teach as well.

Thanks
Coach have you found anything yet?

Public schools (UIL) coaches must be full time employees of the school district. Basically, you have to be a salaried employee of the district or you get all sorts of wage-and-hour issues, including overtime. Stipends are paid to coaches as a part of their employment contract. There may be a couple exceptions to the rule, but this is what occurs in about 99.9% of all coaches. As I was told many years ago when I got an alternative certification (which I never used), Texas school districts usually fill coaching positions first to insure that all sports are covered.

There's a story that goes with that about hiring cheerleader coaches, but I'll save that for another day.

Private schools can hire part-time or stipend-only coaches. Each school makes its own decisions on that; I know TAPPS requires all coaches to take various on-line courses to work at their member schools.

Public schools (UIL) coaches must be full time employees of the school district. Basically, you have to be a salaried employee of the district or you get all sorts of wage-and-hour issues, including overtime. Stipends are paid to coaches as a part of their employment contract. There may be a couple exceptions to the rule, but this is what occurs in about 99.9% of all coaches. As I was told many years ago when I got an alternative certification (which I never used), Texas school districts usually fill coaching positions first to insure that all sports are covered.

There's a story that goes with that about hiring cheerleader coaches, but I'll save that for another day.

Private schools can hire part-time or stipend-only coaches. Each school makes its own decisions on that; I know TAPPS requires all coaches to take various on-line courses to work at their member schools.
Okay, thank you for the explanation. So I want to look into private schools and not public.

I didn’t say money was no object, I am just not as concerned with that as it seems a lot of coaches do it for the money and not because they truly enjoy it. I currently volunteer at my local school to coach football basketball and baseball.

I didn’t say money was no object, I am just not as concerned with that as it seems a lot of coaches do it for the money and not because they truly enjoy it. I currently volunteer at my local school to coach football basketball and baseball.
I don't know one coach in this state that "does it for the money" lol

To be honest, after all the hours and sacrifice, aside from first responders, it's one of the most underpaid, unappreciated professions there is. One time our staff broke it down for fun and we made an average of like .07 an hour. lol

I don't know one coach in this state that "does it for the money" lol

To be honest, after all the hours and sacrifice, aside from first responders, it's one of the most underpaid, unappreciated professions there is. One time our staff broke it down for fun and we made an average of like .07 an hour. lol
Well I suppose up here is different. One of the reasons I would love to coach down there.

Gee, I didn't know that your private school was paying that much!😀 That's going to skew the average up a bit.

Like my dear sainted Irish Catholic mother used to say, "Your reward will be in heaven, because you sure aren't going to get it here."

Another story .... back when Ralph Sampson signed with the Houston Rockets in 1980 for the then-unheard-of amount of $1,000,000 per season, the Communications Department at Univ. of Virginia (Ralph graduated with a degree from that academic major) sent out a press release noting that the average salary of their 1980 graduates was $33,000 a year (a very good salary back in those days; I was maybe making $12,000 at the time). It was followed with "Thanks, Ralph!"

Last edited:
Gee, I didn't know that your private school was paying that much!😀

Like my dear sainted Irish Catholic mother used to say, "Your reward will be in heaven, because you sure aren't going to get it here."
Gee, I didn't know that your private school was paying that much!😀 That's going to skew the average up a bit.

Another story .... back when Ralph Sampson signed with the Houston Rockets in 1980 for the unheard amount of $1,000,000 per season, the Communications Department at Univ. of Virginia sent out a press release noting that the average salary of their 1980 graduates was $33,000 a year (a very good salary back in those days; I was maybe making $12,000 at the time). It was followed with "Thanks, Ralph!"

Back