NFL's Greatest Coaches (Thurs 6/6 on ESPN)

freeagent

Six-man pro
Guess I'll have to catch this tonight on ESPN ... 7 pm before the Spurs/Heat Game 1 ...

Gotta think the top six names should include guys like Lombardi, George Halas, Chuck Noll, Don Shula. With St. Vincent on top, of course.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/210283851.html

Packers' Curly Lambeau ranked 10th on list of NFL's greatest coaches
By Bob Wolfley of the Journal Sentinel (Milwaukee)
June 5, 2013

Curly Lambeau of the Packers finished 10th on ESPN's list of the 20 "Greatest Coaches in NFL History" series.

The order was determined by a vote of NFL analysts and commentators at ESPN.

Lambeau won a record six NFL titles, which George Halas of the Bears came to match. But Lambeau's achievements were not confined to winning championships.

Through Wednesday the coaches ranked on the list were:
•7. Bill Belichick
•8. Tom Landry
•9. Joe Gibbs
•10. Curly Lambeau
•11. Bill Parcells
•12. John Madden
•13. Jimmy Johnson
•14. Tom Coughlin
•15. Bud Grant
•16. Hank Stram
•17. Marv Levy
•18. Sid Gillman
•19. Mike Shanahan
•20. Tony Dungy

At 8 p.m. Thursday, ESPN to air a one-hour show "Lombardi's Legacy," about Packers coach Vince Lombardi, who has a really, really good chance of finishing first in this ranking of the greatest NFL coaches.

Don Shula played some six-man I think in Junior High...if memory serves me correct...and I think Halas either played or coached six-man at some point...and I think Halas coached Ed Sprinkle on the Chicago Bears who played six-man football at Tuscola on their very first football team in 1939...Sprinkle was probably the most successful NFL player who played six-man football...sorry Pardee fans

Leman Saunders":1y5gcxoj said:
Don Shula played some six-man I think in Junior High...if memory serves me correct...and I think Halas either played or coached six-man at some point...and I think Halas coached Ed Sprinkle on the Chicago Bears who played six-man football at Tuscola on their very first football team in 1939...Sprinkle was probably the most successful NFL player who played six-man football...sorry Pardee fans

Not sure on Halas ... he was already coaching the Decatur Staleys (which became the Chicago Bears) in the early 1920's, so his football life was well-entrenched on crowded field before the start of the six-man game in the 1930's.

An additional guess on the top six: Walsh (49ers)

By the way, Tuesday, June 11 would be Vince Lombardi's 100th birthday.

In honor, I will find a bottle of fine Wisconsin beer to toast in his honor and memory.

(ESPN2 will replay the Lombardi special on Tuesday)

Back