New coach @ Brenham Christian

freeagent

Six-man pro
from www.theoldcoach.com and The Brenham Banner

http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2 ... orts01.txt

Former BCA student to run athletics -- Tarbutton named head athletic coach; Headley leaves BCA after five seasons

By RICHARD BRAY/Sports Editor

A familiar face is coming back to Brenham Christian Academy to run the athletic department.

Matt Tarbutton, who played football, basketball, baseball and tennis at BCA during his high school years, has taken over as BCA’s head athletic coach, replacing athletic director Dan Headley, who held that position for five seasons.

Tarbutton, who graduated from BCA in the spring of 2005, played his senior year under Headley. After graduating, Tarbutton went to the University of Houston, where he was a walk-on on the football team until a stress fracture in his lower back ended his football career.

Tarbutton served as a team manager for the next three years, and graduated in May with a kinesiology degree and a teaching certificate.

The head of school, Noel Scoggins, said the school’s familiarity with Tarbutton was key to his hiring. Scoggins said Tarbutton’s position as head athletic coach fills the same responsibilities as the athletic director title Headley held.

“That was a big part of it, the fact that we knew him and he was a known factor,” Scoggins said. “Like Dan Headley before him, he had great character. Matt has a lot of enthusiasm and some really good experiences in college that equip him to do good things for us.

“He seems to have a real vision not just for athletics but for the overall P.E. program as well.”

Tarbutton will serve as BCA’s head football and boys basketball coach.

“I’m enjoying it,” he said. “It’s definitely two different points of view. I think it helps me as A.D. having been a student here, seeing what they go through.”

Tarbutton was an all-district football and basketball player at BCA in addition to playing one season of baseball and two seasons of tennis.

Scoggins said Headley resigned after five seasons at BCA to work on the staff at Sandy Creek Bible Camp. Headley, whose contract expired at the end of June, said he is hoping to coach somewhere in the fall. During Headley’s tenure, BCA made its first-ever football playoff appearance and earned its first playoff victory in basketball.

BCA will begin football practices on Aug. 3.

Scoggins said BCA has also hired Matt Maples as the new head volleyball coach replacing Jessica Kapchinski. Maples comes to Brenham from Indianapolis, where he started the volleyball and baseball programs at Trailers Point Christian Academy.

Scoggins said Maples would also serve as an assistant baseball coach in the spring.

Good Luck Coach Tarbutton.
There's nothing like coming into a situation that is on top. I believe you inherit a pretty solid team.

Once again,
Good Luck on your season

Back