Minimum Wage Hike

Any inflationary pressure from this will be minimal. Not that many people are paid the minimum, and the vast majority of those that are tend to be entry level workers in manual labor or fast food jobs. Around here, most of the fast food joints pay higher than minimum just to get workers. Most pay around $7.50.

My main objection to it is the political symbolism allowing politicians to cry crocodile tears about giving the poor a raise, while doing absolutely nothing that helps their situation, not that there is really anything the government can do to truly alleviate poverty. It makes them feel good about themselves, trumpets their "good intentions", and lets them off the hook for any negative consequences. :roll:

Seeing as how I'm just a poor farmer and not anywhere near an economist, I'd like to ask a dumb question. How many people that belong to unions have their wages tied by contract to minimum wage? They may be making 20 an hour, you increase the minimum wage by 2 dollars and suddenly the union man is making 22 an hour. If that is the case, it looks to me like it could cause inflation.

Old Bearkat":3jc3pzpt said:
granger":3jc3pzpt said:
wait, he said economist, not nuclear physicist...

Engineer!!! Which qualifies me as an economist! :D

Engineers are experts at everything... Or at least that's what they'll have you believe...

Blue Bird":3jc3pzpt said:
Seeing as how I'm just a poor farmer and not anywhere near an economist, I'd like to ask a dumb question. How many people that belong to unions have their wages tied by contract to minimum wage? They may be making 20 an hour, you increase the minimum wage by 2 dollars and suddenly the union man is making 22 an hour. If that is the case, it looks to me like it could cause inflation.

Dang unions are tearing this country apart!

The thing to watch is the conference committee when they try to reconcile the House and Senate versions. The Senate included a tax break for businesses. That should send Speaker Pelosi into a conniption (Spelling?).

Mustang76":18znso0i said:
The thing to watch is the conference committee when they try to reconcile the House and Senate versions. The Senate included a tax break for businesses. That should send Speaker Pelosi into a conniption (Spelling?).

She's already having one, almost daily.

Red_Devil_DDS":1qrs1kxk said:
Old Bearkat":1qrs1kxk said:
granger":1qrs1kxk said:
wait, he said economist, not nuclear physicist...

Engineer!!! Which qualifies me as an economist! :D

Engineers are experts at everything... Or at least that's what they'll have you believe...

Yep, practically a PhD, which BTW means Piled Higher and Deeper

Blue Bird":1qrs1kxk said:

Red_Devil_DDS":1qrs1kxk said:
Dang unions are tearing this country apart!

Union membership in the private sector have now fallen to less than 10% of the working population, while government union population is increasing. Just wait, the 'crat unions will try flexing their muscle in the next 3 or 4 years

High Plains Drifter":2upnadtp said:
Granger, dont mess with OBK, he has his finger on that button and lord knows he isnt too stable as it is. If he wants to be an economist, please let him be one.

nuclear%20explosion.JPG

Back