May vs Santa Anna

olderelk

11-man fan
District opener between May, Santa Anna a Top 10 showdown
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2013 4:15 pm
By DERRICK STUCKLY BROWNWOOD BULLETIN [email protected]

The Six-Man Division I District 9 opener between the May Tigers and Santa Anna Mountaineers will be a Top 10 showdown, based on the most recent sixmanfootbal.com rankings, revealed Monday.

Undefeated May (6-0) held on to its No. 6 ranking in Division I following its 46-0 road victory over Brookesmith, while Santa Anna (5-1) debuts in the Division I Top 10 at No. 9 after posting a 96-48 win over previously-undefeated Evant last week.

Friday’s game time is slated for 7:30 p.m. at May.

Santa Anna’s appearance in the poll led to the exit of Zephyr (5-1), which bowed out despite a 62-54 home triumph over Mullin last week.

In the Six-Man Division II rankings, Richland Springs (4-1) held on to the No. 9 spot for the second straight week following its 68-55 homecoming victory over Walnut Springs.

Both Zephyr and Richland Springs have byes this week, as the Coyotes’ game against Odessa Latter Rain was recently cancelled.

Should be a DANDY game both teams are gonna put up several points but i feel like May has just a little bit better defense. Ill pick it MAY 66 Santa Anna 48

From the Brownwood Bulletin:
Santa Anna (5-1, 0-0) at May (6-0, 0-0)

7:30 p.m. FRIDAY

A year ago, three teams from Six-Man Division I District 9 shared the league championship, but only two could advance to the playoffs. This season, the five members of District 9 combined for a 25-4 pre-district record, with no team registering more than one loss.

The two top ranked teams in the district — No. 6 May and No. 9 Santa Anna — will cross paths Friday night in the league opener, trying to get a jump on a potential playoff berth and district title.

Santa Anna shared the District 9 crown with Zephyr and Rochelle a year ago and, along with the Bulldogs, competed in the playoffs, advancing to the third round. May, meanwhile, was left out of the postseason despite an overall winning record.

This season, May has yet to taste defeat, knocking off Richland Springs (76-52), Rising Star (74-24), Newcastle (46-38), Blanket (52-6), Gustine (56-0) and Brookesmith (46-0). Santa Anna, meanwhile, has defeated Veribest (46-0), Paint Rock (55-0), Mullin (59-24), Eden (50-0) and Evant (96-48), with the only loss coming to two-time defending Six-Man Division I state champion Throckmorton (60-13).

Entering Friday’s game, May is averaging 58 points and 336 yards — 291 rushing and 75 passing — per outing.

Kendrick Aguerro has rushed for 605 yards and 11 touchdowns trailed by Justin Howard with 531 yards and 11 scores, Dakota Chambers with 257 yards and six touchdowns, Caleb Hardy with 184 yards and four trips to the end zone and Christian Scott with 130 yards and three touchdowns. Caleb Brown and Matthew Enriquez have also rushed for touchdowns.

Through the air, Isaac Williams has thrown for 302 yards and six touchdowns, while Aguerro has passed for 149 yards with three touchdowns.

Brant Harris leads all May receivers with four catches for 124 yards and two touchdowns followed by Chambers with three grabs for 84 yards with one score and Howard with three touchdown receptions totaling 63 yards. Scott, Aaron Sadler and David Woods also have touchdown catches.

Defensively, Harris’ 49 tackles are a team-high for May trailed by 29 from Howard, 27 from Chambers, 26 from Woods and 23 from Williams. Woods has recovered three fumbles, Chambers has pounced on two and both have one return for a touchdown. Williams also owns a team-best four interceptions.

Santa Anna almost reached triple digits in scoring in its most recent outing against Evant as Michael Valencia rushed for 356 yards and four touchdowns on 21 carries and also completed 3 of 4 passes for 107 yards with a couple of scoring strikes. Lucas Diaz added 153 yards and four touchdowns on only nine carries. Jacob Herrod finished with four catches for 55 yards with three touchdowns and Devan Denton caught two passes covering 80 yards and scored once.

According to sixmanfootball.com, May is a 25-point favorite.

Back