Looking forward to 2016

pup

11-man fan
Let me start by saying that I am almost giddy that TAPPS decided to go back to two divisions. Now districts get larger, scheduling gets easier, and the playoffs become a battle of the finest. District play will now be much more meaningful- I see some potential rivalries in the making. Now the big question is how will TAPPS structure the playoffs? Top two from each district, for a sixteen team bracket? Or what about the top three, winners get a bye in the first round, a 24 team bracket? Or possibly top two in, district winners get the bye, then Wild Card points to determine the next eight in a variation of 24? TAPPS is gonna need to get word out to the coaches soon as they are constructing schedules. Will Wild Card points be meaningful or not?

With all that said, let's look at what might be in 2016. Looking at DII, there are 38 teams listed by TAPPS but I'm sure a couple will fold as we get closer to August. Too bad Districts 6 & 7 are down to four teams. With the limited info I have, here's what I see:

- Baytown Christian- Losing a good group of seniors but juniors filling their spots. Highest ranked by Grangers' system at the end of 2015.
- San Marcos- It's very, very hard to defend. Will they have enough to repeat? I don't think so. Tough new district.
- Cedar Park Summit- Losing a big group of seniors and I'm not sure if they can replace those players. Had a good 2015 but will have a tough go in 2016 with San Marcos and Seguin in district.
- Waco Live Oak- Another great season in 2015 until they ran into the football factory over at Veritas. I think Live Oak will simply reload.
- WF Notre Dame- Finally got over the "not by two" curse but were overpowered at State. Losing two seniors that were pretty much the whole team. Did anyone else get significant playing time?
- WF Christian- Apparently have two studs, but as noted above, two players don't make a championship team.
- Seguin- Have a good, strong and fast group returning. They have potential to be a very good squad, but will they....?
- Freddy- Yes, they had a down year last year. Only graduated one. I think they will be ready come playoff time.
-Bulverde Bracken- Might just be my sleeper team of 2016. Returning good numbers that got quit a bit of playing time last season. Will be a great battle with Freddy in district.
- Granbury NCTA- Rode one horse this year and it bit them hard come playoff time. Could be a good year or it might not. Kinda depends on who shows up for school in August.

That would be my top ten- not necessarily in that order. Please discuss.

Back