Lack of teams in South Texas/Coastal region

CleverUsername1

11-man fan
I was looking at the game map for this week, and I noticed that most six-man teams are centered around North Central Texas, the hill country, the panhandle and the Permian Basin area. Anyone happen to know why far West Texas and South Texas/the coastal region are almost devoid of teams? I'm guessing it's because there are way fewer towns in those regions and the few towns there are out there are too big for six-man, like El Paso and Refugio. There's nothing to base an economy off of in far west Texas and coastal region towns grow too fast to become six-man due to tourism, so that's probably the reason. If anyone else has any other insights voice your opinion!

There's plenty of towns in South and East Texas that could play six man football. Most choose not to and instead just play thump-thump (bball). As for far west Texas, there's just not that many towns of any size.

Some public schools that had sixman now don't have enough kids, but some public schools that played 11 man are having to move down to sixman for the same reason.
The good news is that more faith based and homeschool groups, and charter schools are growing and forming sixman teams so I believe that you will begin to see more teams coming from those areas. This is only our third year and I know of several more that this is either their first, second, third or fourth year. Until five years ago, I had only coached 11 man, now I can't imagine coaching anything but 6-man!
"Six Man Football, We Don't Need the Other Five".

Back