Kick Off Team Line-up

burnerman

11-man fan
I see this by several teams and always thought it was not allowed but what do I know so if someone could enlighten me.

KO team all huddled up prior to kick. Break out of huddle and approach ball as a tight group as ball is kicked. Obviously this creates pressure in one area when goal is to kick onside. Is this legal and if so is there any rule governing kick off other than off sides.

Nothing wrong with that in 6 man. In 11 man there must be at least 4 players on each side of the kicker when the ball is kicked. No such requirement in 6 man. The only other thing is that the kicking team cannot block until they are eligible to touch the ball. They become eligible when it has gone 15 yards or has been touched by the receiving team. Also, if the ball doesn't touch the ground they have to give the receiving team an unimpeded opppurtunity to catch the kick.

Michael D":29eeb8uq said:
Can the Receiving Team prior to the kickasthe KO team approaches the ball or do they have to be "set"?

The receiving team can move all they want as long as they do not cross their restraining line until after the ball is kicked.

Back