In Memory of Lane Smith

CoachNorris

11-man fan
I am posting this with a very heavy heart. I wanted the six-man coaches and fans to know that Alpha Omega lost a great young man on Christmas Eve. Lane Smith was #11 and the defensive captain on our playoff teams in '12 & '13. He was a freshman at Sam Houston State University and I had recently hired him to coach the Alpha Omega JH baseball team. He was killed in an accident on his way back from a hunting trip. Thankfully his brothers survived the wreck.
Coach Hudgens may remember exchanging words with Lane while we waited for the ambulance to cart him off during our quarterfinal game against Hill Country in Bryan in '12. I thought some of the others that coached against us may want to know about his passing and hope everyone will keep his family and our school in your prayers.
Physically, Lane had no business playing football. However, his mental approach to the game and tremendous desire allowed him to excel. He never did anything halfway. He was a brilliant student and an active member of University Heights Baptist in Huntsville. For Christmas this year, his only request was gift cards to Academy and he was planning on using them to buy balls for some of the children he had ministered to on a youth mission last summer. He really is an amazing young man and I will miss spending time with him.
He is beloved by the entire community and his loss has been crippling.
"Live On 11"

Coach Norris,

Our prayers are with Lane's family and AOA. Sorry to hear this. I will pass this on among BCA coaches and players.

Coach Wiggins

Thank you all, over a thousand people attended the service this morning and it was the most touching event I have ever seen. This young mans testimony and love for The Lord will bring any man to tears (of joy). I was glad to share with the family all of the calls and messages that I've received from the 6-man community and they are grateful.
MelaniB--Lane is a cousin of RS player Storm Teel, so I know Storm's family is hurting too.
Please continue to lift Huntsville Alpha Omega up in prayer because Lane Smith IS Alpha Omega and we will miss him more than I can fathom.

Prayers from Geneva for the boy's family, the Alpha Omega community, and for you and your coaching staff. Hang in there Jeff.

Praying for you and your community Coach. Lane was definitely a blessing to those who crossed his path.
-Coach Hudgens
Austin Hill Country

Back