HS Football Exhibit at State History Museum

51eleven

Six-man expert
Thank you Leman and Granger for your efforts. Wish they had given you more space for the 6man display. But it is very cool. I'm still overwhelmed by the ovrerall exhibit combined with the History Museum. We did it all in about 3 hrs. Should have allowed for more time. No pictures allowed, so much info for the time.
Walking in to the football part was instant gratification. The 3 Hico Super Six Man posters on the left put the game up front, not letting it be forgotten in all the (great) 11man stuff.
At least a couple of more references I can't remember on the way through. But going through the "tunnel" onto the field we stopped to watch the monitors of the pregame talk etc. as a team ran on then I pointed and said to my wife, 6 man!, 40 yard line! no 50!
The original of Epler's rule book and Jack Pardee's Mom's scrapbook of HS football clippings stand out. Along with the large pictures of Garden City's field in snow, I beleive Blackwell's field, and Prarie Lea on the way out.
There thru January 20th ?

Bada Bing. Bada Bump. Last Chance.
A week old thread. Not a post. Nobody on this site has been to see this? (except of course Granger & Leman). It's really not about 6 or 11, it's about how the sport evolved in the state.
I would imagine most on this site have seen 1 or 2 exciting 11m HS games.
If you love sixman and maybe at least like HS 11m opposed to the NFL or even college,
you owe it to yourself to try to see this.
Soap Box just broke.

Thanks for the reminder of something I have to do in the next few weeks ... was up there to listen to the officials discussion but I didn't have time to take in the exhibits. Maybe I'll make a trip up there next week ...

To put this thing together took a lot of effort, time & $. Why don't they loan it to say Texas Tech so it would be in more reasonable driving distance for more citizens of the state?
Heck, maybe half a dozen cities over a 2-3 year period. It could help generate tourist income for those cities. At the least they could put a virtual tour on line.

51eleven":3n2acutw said:
To put this thing together took a lot of effort, time & $. Why don't they loan it to say Texas Tech so it would be in more reasonable driving distance for more citizens of the state?
Heck, maybe half a dozen cities over a 2-3 year period. It could help generate tourist income for those cities. At the least they could put a virtual tour on line.

Great idea, but my guess is that most of the items were loaned to the exhibit by individuals, etc., and did it under the proviso that they would be returned at a certain time. I may try to get up there tomorrow or Friday.

Had not thought of the loan status of the items on display. The virtual tour or an online view of those items would help record it for history.

One of the most outstanding display's to me on the 11m side was the roughly ? 12' X 20'-30' picture of Breckenridge Stadium in I believe 1920. Stands packed, from the N/W looking S/W with "downtown" in the background. An oil town. My mom lived there a coupe of years as a kid in the 30's. Uncle had a washateria there then. Mother saw her first "moving picture show" there.
My brother in-law played on that field. Coached peewee teams to championships on it.
Never asked for this on this site but,
After a 2 year battle with cancer, in the next few minutes, hours or day's he will pass on to the other side.
Any prayers of consolation for George Rogers family, friends and fire fighters would be greatly appreciated.

Exhibit closes Jan. 20th .... and is worth the trip.

I was impressed that sixman memorabilia was mixed throughout the exhibit and not segregated to a little dusty corner in the room ... and a good amount of private school stuff was incorporated into the exhibit as well.

The Museum gift shop sells a hardbound ($29.95) and softbound ($19.95) book by Joe Nick Patosi that covers the entire exhibit. Our benefactor, Granger and Leeman Saunders are both credited for their work on the sixman side of the story.

Just got my copy of the book this evening. That 2 page spread of the 1927 (I was wrong before) Breckenridge - Waco game on pages 4-5 was worth it for me. Forgot about the Blackwell Homecoming "Cape" (Train). Never realized Katy and Pflugerville went from 6 man to 5A. I wish the picture of Garden City in the snow was in there but that may have been from a different book.

Back