Home school teams

phil

11-man fan
I'm starting to get curious about these home school teams. I see different players showing up, sometimes at the first of the season I saw an average team, then a team added a couple of players and they were totally different. Who oversees these teams and determines eligibility and grades? I'm smelling something fishy with some of these teams...

I agree, just wondering who passes out grades, checks on ages, eligibility, schedules, practices, etc. One mother told me her son practices with two teams, a "select" team and her son's "home school squad?" What??

Folks, I moved this topic over to home school teams.

Yes, SSS, there are a number (probably 10-12) of home school groups that have organized six-man football teams. These groups are popping up (in various sports); there have been a couple that have existed for years ... FEAST in San Antonio and HCYA in Houston (the latter does play sixman football); in some sports such as basketball and track/cross country, they are pretty solid groups (competing at the UIL 4A-5A level). Some of these groups have affiliated with T-CAL (Texas Christian Athletic League) and some play independent.

I even think there may be one or two crowded field football home school teams in the DFW and/or Houston areas. It's much tougher to get into that level of play, but I expect that some groups will go there in the next several years.

As for eligibility rules, if the group is not affiliated with a league, they're on their own. Most try to set up eligibility rules similiar to "brick-and-mortar" high school leagues (TAPPS, UIL), but if you schedule them, you need to verify their eligibility rules. I've advised a couple groups that are forming to carry copies of their players' birth certificiates with them.

The old joke about home school teams is that the eligibility rule is that the players are asked to keep their wives and children at home during the games ... not really true, but good for a chuckle. It's just a hard thing to determine if that 18 year old boy actually finished his high school studies last year or gosh, he turned 19 on September 3rd and he didn't play that one year a couple years back, so let's let him play this year.

What I'm saying is that, yes, it is very possible, perhaps very easy to pass a few ringers into the mix with home school teams (but experience has shown it can happen in the "brick-and-mortar" schools, too). But I've seen most home school groups are trying to be good actors in this regard.

The only advice I give to schools thinking about scheduling home school groups is to know who you're dealing with; if you (as a school AD or administrator) don't want your school playing these groups, that's your call (and there are a number of public schools who do not wish to schedule private schools for various reasons, some justifiable and some not).

But then again, that may not be a bad bit of advice even with some "brick-and-mortar" schools ...

I believe I can answer a few of your questions about home school six-man football teams.

You are correct that a few home school teams in the past have unfortunately made some bad decisions on whom they let play on their team. My experience in six-man football for the past three years has shown that this is definitely the exception not the rule. I am aware of a student that played for one home school team who was older than the eligible age; that was before they joined TCAL.The ten home school teams in which I am in contact are all run by men of honesty and integrity who desire to run their programs to honor Jesus Christ.

TCAL offers the structure of a league and post season play and holds all teams (home school and private) accountable for complying with six-man football requirements. All TCAL teams must agree in writing to adhere by all of the policies and procedures of TCAL. As home school teams become more and more popular, TCAL will do everything possible to bring those teams in and help them in the right direction.

TCAL's eligibility rule (age) is the same as everyone else's. Enrollment is done on a case by case basis; honesty plays a big part of that. For instance, if a home school group has three teams (i.e. football, basketball, baseball), all boys should be counted for each sport, regardless if they play one or three of the sports. If a group is supported by a co-op, all siblings in the co-op should be counted towards enrollment numbers. If the co-op acts as a school, TCAL will consider the enrollment numbers of the total school. Since there are several different scenarios that could effect enrollment numbers, it is necessary for a determination to be made on a case by case basis.

As far as team rosters, they must be turned in to Max Preps and TCAL by September 15th. Adding players to your team in TCAL after September 15th can only be done for transfer students; there is a limit of how many players are allowed on each roster, so in some cases a team may not have room for a transfer student.

Please feel free to ask any more questions you may have concerning these great programs. By the way, SA FEAST (home school) is the D1 TCAL champion and I assure you they are all about integrity.

Billy Helm
TCAL Football

Back