Helmet ?

knightsfball

11-man fan
We are a new homeshcool program and I'm trying to find the best helmet for the kids. We have a minimum budget and need to make sure that we have the best helmets possible for the budget. If you would give your recomendations on best feel and safety compared to price that would be great. We have looked both at the Schutt DNA and the Riddell REVO and also the Xenith but the latter is a little to expensive for us right now. Thank you

My kids like the DNA schutt helmets. We have a few of the revo's but the kids don't seem to like them as much. Just my two cents worth...

The sales rep from Barcelona Athletics said the Schutt was best because of it's longevity. It should be able to be re-conditioned many, many times. Obviously the helmet is not the item to cut corners on.

We're all in this together. Troy Bolton

Xenith are the best helmets out there right now. You can't put a price on keeping your kids safe. Head injuries are becoming a serious issue at every level in football.

i know that they are billed the best on the market right now, but we had a Zenith helmet this year and we kept having chinstrap issues all year long. We actually had to take a DNA off of a kid that didn't play that game because the chinstrap broke on a kid that was important who wore the Zenith. if you know anything about zeniths then you would know that the chinstrap isnt replacable, atleast quickly.

we have had mostly DNA's and we love them, and I know that Schutt will take their helmets for over 10 years unlike riddell, but i really don't want to put a helmet that is older than 10 years on a kids head. thats just me, but think about what happens to plastic that has been in the sun for a long time? it is plastic and it does spend alot of time outside over 10 years.

we recently purchased some Riddell Speed helmets, gonna be interested to see how it goes with them.

knightsfball":ytk3gku0 said:
We are a new homeshcool program and I'm trying to find the best helmet for the kids. We have a minimum budget and need to make sure that we have the best helmets possible for the budget. If you would give your recomendations on best feel and safety compared to price that would be great. We have looked both at the Schutt DNA and the Riddell REVO and also the Xenith but the latter is a little to expensive for us right now. Thank you

DO NOT SCRIMP on helmets.

Good helmets are not cheap. Neither are brain surgeons. Nor are defense lawyers. (Somewhere I once read that the largest part of the cost of a new football helmet is the cost of liability insurance for the manufacturer.)

Both the DNA and the Revolution are probably around $200 each; maybe the dealers have a deal where you can buy 6 and get 7, but those are seasonal. Call around, check the internet (be SURE you are getting NEW equipment, not used). We've used the Revolution since we started in 2003; a number of coaches around here that I respect felt it was the best helmet available. I have friends I know, love and respect that think that the Schutt is all that and a bucket of chicken and I probably won't argue with that, either.

I hate to be the skunk at the garden party, but if you cannot afford the cost of the equipment, I'd seriously consider NOT playing tackle football. Be open and clear with your parents, this is what equipment costs (plus, they need refurbishing at least every other year at a cost around $50). Your first priority is the safety of the young men entrusted to your care.

Good luck.

We had our entire varsity in Xenith this year and we had one chinstrap issue all year - and once you know how to fix it, it's not bad. They are different, but I thought they were the best helmets we've ever had and we've got a few of everything.

I am glad more is going into keeping kids noggins safe. Granted there isn't in a lot of 16 year old boys skulls, but they need to be kept safe anyway...

tkeith

We are using Riddell Speeds at Hermleigh (this will be our first year too).

We have used Revos in the past.

The only knock I see against the DNA is that it gives (in my opinion to much) around the ear section on the right and left side.

Take a Riddell helment and push in on the ear pieces and then do the same with the DNA, you will see what I am talking about.

We have revos, revo speeds, and xeniths. Our kids loved the Speeds the best. None of our HS kids would wear the xeniths cause they weren't comfortable. We actually had 2 kids where they had rubbed spots on their foreheads. I am sure that they werent fitted right for them. We ended up having a couple of JH kids get fitted by the sales rep for the xeniths and they liked them ok. Most of our kids liked the Speeds the best though.

hhsowls":oucb05j6 said:
I also know that Schutt does not reject helmets due to age unlike a certain other company... :mrgreen:

I got one rule on equipment.

No piece of equipment should be put on a kid that is older than the kid.

I believe the accrediting group for sports equipment (NOCSAE?) has a 10 or 12 year limit on helmets. Although I'm no longer part of the Lifegate program, I know we are retiring all our original helmets bought for the 2003 season this year as they have gone through 5 bi-annual reconditioning cycles. Bought one for $30 at the school fundraiser a couple weeks ago as a souvenir.

Hey Coach- We are a home school program as well, and used Xenith for our team last year- Given their fitting program (discs that adjust to sizing) they were the easiest/most economical, and best for our group last season as we didn't have to "waste" any that we sized wrong, or that didn't fit our players- We were able to purchase to the "head count" of our team, and didn't have to try to match up and have issues when some kid (as they always do in home school programs) comes rolling in the first week of August...

Would encourage you to take a look at the Virginia Tech study on Concussion Helmet testing also before making a decision- we passed along a large portion of our helmet cost in our fees last year...at the end of the day, the extra you pay of the helmet is still less than the co-pay on a hospital visit and imaging for a concussion..

http://www.sbes.vt.edu/nid.php

Feel free to call me or email me if you want to visit...

Mark Baker
CHANT Chargers
972-898-4978
[email protected]

IMO...Revo Speeds are the best helmet on the market....With all the concussion stuff going on in our game today helmets are not the thing to be cheap on or not get checked and reconditioned every year.

Not sure if anyone will read this but the Riddell 360's are the best helmet on the market. If you can swallow the price tag, they are well worth the investment. We started using them last fall (2013).

Back