Helmet & Kickoff Rules

amoneagles

11-man fan
Lifegate,

Can you please educate coaches on the new rules that apply to us? The helmet rule and touchback rule..

thanks,

Coach Johnson

The helmet rule states that any player whose helmet comes off during the play can only participate in the immediate action he is involved in (i.e.: finishing a block, etc.). If he continues beyond that point (even if he puts his helmet back on), he will be called for an UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT foul (two of which will DQ him from the contest). Also, he must leave the game for at least one play. If the helmet comes off as the result of a foul the player will be allowed to remain in the contest. The penalty must be a direct cause of the helmet coming off (i.e.: hands to the face, facemask penalty, etc.). For instance, if the quarterback takes a roughing the passer foul, but his helmet doesn't come off until he hits the ground, he will still have to leave the game. This is taken straight from TASO.

In 11-man football, any kickoff that goes into the EZ for a touchback will be brought out to the 25-yard line. Since touchbacks in 6-man have traditionally come out to the 15, I would venture that touchbacks will be brought out to the 20 this season. We haven't discussed that in our meetings. Being as my crew has a 6-man game this week, it would be a good idea to discuss that with our rules expert.

Dago,

Thanks for that!! A ref told me today that a TB would be brought out at the 15 yd line. I scouted a game this weekend and they brought it out to the 25 yd line which through me for a loop. (I know college it is 25 yd line) We need to clear the air on these issues can WE prepare our kids. Lord knows I need to continue to prepare my kids. I'm have a good idea of all these rules, but I haven't received any info from our league saying there has been a change. Good luck and thanks!

Coach Johnson
Athletic Director
The Fulton School

To: Tapps schools. This was found in the bylaws

(this changes a lot ) Should the ball be at the 25 now for 6man schools. I'm NOT kicking the ball deep then.haha

The team whose goal line is involved shall put the ball in play by a snap on their 20 yardline after a touchback and by a kick-off or punt on their 20 yardline after a safety. After a safety, the ball must go at least 15 yards or be touched by the receiving team before members of the kicking team are eligible to touch it. Receiving team must have at least 3 players between the 35 and 40 yard lines of the kicking team.
15. The 20 yardline will be used as a penetration line.

amoneagles":1flm3qos said:
Lifegate,

Can you please educate coaches on the new rules that apply to us? The helmet rule and touchback rule..

thanks,

Coach Johnson

Cripes. Somebody expects me to know the rules ... whadda thunk I is, a referee?

Just kiddin', bro ... I think these other guys got it.

Just remember there are two sets of rules you need to be aware of:

1. Is the game rules. Those are enforced by the officials and are primarily written by groups like the NCAA (for football) and NFHS (for most other sports). Of course, there are the written adjustments in the UIL/TAPPS rules (which should be identical) and those are enforced by the game officials. In most cases (outside of the exception above), the associations do not affect the game rules -- basically, a game should be called the same if the opponents are UIL schools or private schools.

2. Are the contest rules. Those are the rules of the association (TAPPS, UIL, etc.). They speak to how your school/team is organized, participates, and competes for district and state honors. They talk about eligibility, season and practice restrictions, coaching eligibility/certification, playoff qualifying, and the such.

Basically, if it's something that happens inside the paint, the game officials handle it and it's a game rule. If it's something that involves outside the lines stuff (who is on your team, etc.) it's a contest rule and your association is the governing body.

Coach Johnson,

Also there is the new kickoff rule that states that all players must be within 5 yards of the kicking team's restraining line. This restriction begins when the ball is made ready for play until the ball is kicked. That means, that from the time the R blows his whistle to make the ball ready for play until the kick, no players can be behind the 25-yard line, even to break out to their position. While there will be a little leeway early in the season, they are really serious about not letting the kids get a running start. The player is considered inside the 5-yard restraint if his front foot is on the line, but he cannot be in a three-point stance with his hand on the line. It must be the front foot or he will have to have his entire body inside the 5-yard restriction.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

dago29":3rihne6d said:
Coach Johnson,

Also there is the new kickoff rule that states that all players must be within 5 yards of the kicking team's restraining line. This restriction begins when the ball is made ready for play until the ball is kicked. That means, that from the time the R blows his whistle to make the ball ready for play until the kick, no players can be behind the 25-yard line, even to break out to their position. While there will be a little leeway early in the season, they are really serious about not letting the kids get a running start. The player is considered inside the 5-yard restraint if his front foot is on the line, but he cannot be in a three-point stance with his hand on the line. It must be the front foot or he will have to have his entire body inside the 5-yard restriction.

Can he get a running start by moving within the 5 yard lines?

hornkeeper12":3h159w5n said:
dago29":3h159w5n said:
Coach Johnson,

Can he get a running start by moving within the 5 yard lines?

some of these posts are better in "Ask a ref" -- I might be moving some of them later.

Within the 5-yard restriction, yes, they can get a running start as the kicker approaches the ball. Only the kicker can be beyond the 5-yard restriction, so if you do a trick kickoff where the person who puts the ball on the tee doesn't kick it, you better make sure all your players are within the 5-yard restriction.

I will correct one thing first and then read the rest of the posts to see if there are more.

There is no UNS for participating without a helmet. It is simply a personal foul, participating without a helmet in no way counts against the 2 UNS that are needed for a DQ.

this next one should be clarified just a tad....

For instance, if the quarterback takes a roughing the passer foul, but his helmet doesn't come off until he hits the ground, he will still have to leave the game.

If there is a RTP foul, and the defender simply hits the QB late, QB falls down and helmet falls off, this is correct, however, if the defender drives the QB into the ground and his helmet comes off.... he may remain.

Touchbacks on free kicks even in 6-man have always come out to the 20 yard line. This year unlike 11-man, which changed to the 25, touchbacks will remain at the 20.

this is directly from the UIL six man rule exception document that can be found on the UIL website.

7. 7. Unless relocated by penalty, the kicking team’s restraining line on a kickoff is the 30 yard line on a
six-man field and the 20 yard line for a free kick after safety. The receiving team’s free kick restraining line is 15
yards from the point of kickoff. There is no requirement to have a minimum number of players on either side
of the kicker. If the result of a Free Kick is a touchback for Team B and the placement of the ball is not relocated by penalty, the ball will next be put into play from Team B’s 20 yard line.

fencewire":3lhwbtup said:
I will correct one thing first and then read the rest of the posts to see if there are more.

There is no UNS for participating without a helmet. It is simply a personal foul, participating without a helmet in no way counts against the 2 UNS that are needed for a DQ.

That's correct. The unsportsmanlike conduct is only for intentional removal of a helmet while still in the field of play. I apologize if I caused any confusion.

Back