Head Coach Openings

truthhurts04":33qm56nf said:
I heard it was that guy from P. Lea that signed on with Gordon and made a big public post that he was going to honor his commitment to Gordon after Burkhart backed out!
What does this also say about the school that stole him away?

Dogface2":3l1h8d1d said:
truthhurts04":3l1h8d1d said:
I heard it was that guy from P. Lea that signed on with Gordon and made a big public post that he was going to honor his commitment to Gordon after Burkhart backed out!
What does this also say about the school that stole him away?
You can't really fault the school, he had to have applied to get hired.

Why would anyone hire a coach from a school that has won 4 games in the past 4 seasons?
Are you looking to win and build a succesful program or just hire someone?

Just because a team has only won 4 games in 4 years doesnt mean the coach isnt worthy of a job. Some schools just dont have the athletes to win.

I completely undersatand that some schools dont have athletes to win games. That is why you have a non district schedule and choose who you play. There is no excuse not to win 2-3 non district games because as a coach you schedule who you play.
I have had jobs where I knew in 80% of the games I had the worse athletes than my opponent, but we still win games. As a coach you are responsible for who you play and there is reasons why you play them. But I find it hard to believe that winning 4 games in 4 years and the kids are the only reason

SWRaider":34x5rsny said:
I completely undersatand that some schools dont have athletes to win games. That is why you have a non district schedule and choose who you play. There is no excuse not to win 2-3 non district games because as a coach you schedule who you play.
I have had jobs where I knew in 80% of the games I had the worse athletes than my opponent, but we still win games. As a coach you are responsible for who you play and there is reasons why you play them. But I find it hard to believe that winning 4 games in 4 years and the kids are the only reason

Well said, AGAIN.
Keep'em coming!

In fact, there are some who will act like they are your greatest friend and such just until the moment you are no longer useful or something (they think is) better comes along and they won't feel the least bit of true shame for it.

I was counseling a young man, good friend of mine and Free Agent's, this week about jobs. I helped him find an oilfield job that paid about twice as much as the one he was at. We were talking and he said 'I kinda feel bad about leaving these other guys, they gave me a job and everything..." And I said, "You and I are sons of our fathers and grandsons of our grandfathers and I understand how you feel because that's the way we were raised. But let me ask you a question, if your current employer found a cheaper or better employee, or the owner's nephew needed your job, how much notice would they give you before they fired you and how much severance would they pay you? He said, "About 10 seconds notice and zero severance." And I said, "So tell me why you owe them even one day's notice much less two weeks? This loyalty thing seems to only run one way. All you're doing is cheating yourself out of half the paycheck you would get at the new job."

Some, not all, of these coaching situations are the same way. It's like the NFL. Those are not "contracts" in the sense of both parties being bound. If you sign a 5 year deal, you can't get out of it unless it has an opt-out or a buyout clause. But the Turk can cut your butt anytime he wants to and the guaranteed money is all you can get. If the 5th year is $10 million, the player gets exactly zero of that when he's cut. It's not a contract! That is an at-will employment agreement. And the "will" refers to the will of the team. The analogy isn't completely accurate when it comes to schools/coaches, but it's close. If they can fire or not renew a coach for any or no reason, then I'm not too shook up about coaches moving around and trying to make the best deal possible, because the best deal possible still ain't that great a deal.

footballguy26":2n4ojevo said:
Could someone tell me what is still open? I would appreciate it very much, I'm looking for a friend.
Look on the very first page of this thread, the very first post.

The posts are editable, and Leman has done a very good job of keeping the original list up to date. I think he even puts the date in which the last edit was made, so you know how current it is. Usually no more than 2 or 3 days.

Back