Gainseville

KMCAWarriors

11-man fan
Hats off to coach Roy Burns and the Gainseville Lone Star North staff. It was apparent that the two best teams in TAPPS D1 were competing in the state finals. For a first year 6-man program, they were well versed in the game with what I imagine was limited 6-man experience for both players and staff. They had the perennial finalists' and 6-man power house, Veritas' number in the 1st half. Most of all the players were not only explosive and fundamentally sound, but exhibited the best sportsmanship I have witnessed all season. They played a clean game exhibiting tremendous technique and discipline.

I have heard grumblings that this team was dirty, THEY WERE NOT. They merely hit hard and hit through the whistle (like any football player should). If that's not your cup of tea, sign your student athletes up for a flag league. I am so happy that the state grants these young men this opportunity as they certainly made the most of it competitively and morally. Whatever mistakes they made to bring them to Gainseville, it appears that they have overcome. Again, I imagine much of that has to do with Coach Roy and his staff. WHAT A PROGRAM!

I have also heard grumblings that both Gainseville and Giddings should not be alowed to participate in TAPPS...that is garbage! They play the game the way it supposed to be played and do so with the upmost sportsmanship and competitiveness. We have teams in TAPPS (6man) that have 40+ players on their roster. Those are the teams that should not be in our Division; not these young men who are doing the right things right now, and working to get better every day. Once again, bravo to the Gainseville Staff, Players, and everyone involved in these young mens' lives. I hope everyone on the Gainesville squad gets a chance to play football again in their lives and that they do so with the same sportsmanship, determination, and grit that they did last night.

Very Respectfully,

-Coach P

Agree with you KCMA Warrior 100%. Those young men came out and played their hearts out. They played the game with a lot more respect and class than some of the other teams that I have seen play this year. Hats off to those young men and their coaches!

As far as to whether these 2 teams should be in TAPPS. My point is THIS! They have an enrollment of 250 boys. We have an enrollment of 150 total kids, half girls. Do the math. I feel, in my opinion, that is not fair. Not sure what the solution is, but that is not right!

I hope they play football, i agree i want them to succeed, and learn, and I appreciate the coaches volunteering their time.

Lionsbacker":hn6uwuva said:
Felt the need to respond. I will leave the sportsmanship question out of most of my response. However, the Lions Sr. quarterback (Alex Hess)that was hit in the back while he was on the ground in the Gainsville game has 2 herniated discs he was out for the season ( surgery is pending). The player was ejected, its not debatable. It was the cheapest shot I have seen in 6 years. There were 2 other plays their players should have been ejected. I am glad the Gainsville coach got a handle on the situation. At least it appears that way.

As far as to whether these 2 teams should be in TAPPS. My point is THIS! They have an enrollment of 250 boys. We have an enrollment of 150 total kids, half girls. Do the math. I feel, in my opinion, that is not fair. Not sure what the solution is, but that is not right!

I hope they play football, i agree i want them to succeed, and learn, and I appreciate the coaches volunteering their time.

If you are going to call me out get the facts.

I am a Lion Dad and i dont work or represent the school. Just a parent wanting my son to be safe!

You are persistent.

Two things that I noticed from my press box seat:

1.) Gainesville hit hard, but clean, especially in the first half.
2.) On a number of occasions after a play was over, I saw a Gainesville player pat a Veritas player on the back. Maybe it goes on a lot and I don't see it, but I noticed it in that contest - a lot.

I don't have a bead on the current leadership's viewpoints of Gainesville and Giddings (although I was told by a TAPPS Board member at the time that Edd Burleson always advocated for the inclusion of the two programs), but I was on the track prior to the start of the Gainesville-Veritas contest and saw a very positive exchange between Gainesville's coaching staff and TAPPS executive director Bryan Bunselmeyer.

My thoughts on saying something isn't right is that there should also be a proposed solution; otherwise, how can it be said that it is wrong?

Short of that, it would appear - unless something was agreed upon by TAPPS and its member schools differently - that the makeup of Division I is counter to its currently posted by-laws:

Section 162 – Six Man Football Qualifications
https://tapps.biz/six-man-football-qualifications/
Athletic By-Laws
Sections 130-198
A. SCHOOLS. Only those schools approved by the TAPPS Executive Board shall be eligible to compete in Six Man Football.
A. Schools aligned in 4A or above shall compete for the Division I championship.
B. Schools aligned in 3A or below shall compete for the Division II or III championship.

And here is the district standings from TAPPSter:
DIVISION I DISTRICT 1
3A Dallas Luth. Dallas
4A Gainesville Lone Star North
3A Amarillo San Jacinto Chr.
3A Dallas Lakehill Prep
3A Denton Calvary
4A Lucas Chr.
3A Rockwall Heritage Chr.
DIVISION I DISTRICT 2
4A Austin Veritas
4A Waco Vanguard College Prep
4A Austin Hill Country Chr.
3A Marble Falls Faith Marble Falls
3A Round Rock Chr.
3A Round Rock Concordia
DIVISION I DISTRICT 3
4A Giddings State
5A Hous. Emery Weiner
4A Sugar Land Logos Prep
4A Katy Faith West
4A S.Ant. Luth.
3A S.Ant. Chr. at Castle Hills

I can't believe that TAPPS would just widely ignore what is in its Athletic Plan and nobody challenge it.

Therefore, somebody must have agreed for certain 3A teams to be included in Division I. My guess is that it was likely done like this to be able to provide a full district schedule.

Or was it to balance the number of teams in Divisions 1 and 2? 19 on TAPPSter in Division I. 18, including Spring Providence Classical, which dropped, in Division II.

Jon Walk
Lone Star Christian Sports Network (@LSCSN)

Two realignments ago TAPPS sixman football made changes to sixman divisions to allow schools with larger enrollments to compete in division I. I think it has made the overall competitiveness in sixman better. TAPPS recognizes some schools are growing in enrollment. However, do not have the necessary numbers to compete in 11-man.

Back