Former 6 man School Goes Big

So they're building a smaller stadium for $40 million dollars more than the last one cost, which is less than 5 years old? And someone actually said "We just want to be the most expensive, not the more effective"? Good for them I guess...but I'm just sitting here thinking what in the world...

So they're building a smaller stadium for $40 million dollars more than the last one cost, which is less than 5 years old? And someone actually said "We just want to be the most expensive, not the more effective"? Good for them I guess...but I'm just sitting here thinking what in the world...
If I were living in Prosper ISD boundaries, I'd be organizing protests on this insanity.

Typical of the bigger is better mentality. I could own a F 350 Ford and let my wife drive it but I don’t. They need to be careful what they wish for.

I just hope there aren't any kids going hungry, or doing without football/basketball/track shoes, etc in their district because their parents can't afford it. Maybe they're providing all that for the kids. I'm not sure...but, if not, I hope they at least take care of the ones who can't afford it all before they spend $94 million on a stadium to replace the $50 million stadium that was opened in 2019.

According to DCTF Prosper has 2 6A high schools, they may expect some rapid growth in the next ten years because of where they are located. If they do expect some rapid growth they would be better off spending less on their sports facilities and preparing to build new schools. I will say that the schools just north of DFW have nice stadiums, maybe they are trying to keep up with the, uh, Friscos. Makes recruiting easier!

The most interesting thing I took from that article...

$2.8 billion (or really any number beginning a 'b') is monumental bond for any school district, yet Prosper says that residents will not see a tax rate increase of any kind.

FTA:

Prosper continues growing by a few thousands students each year and is slated to open Walnut Grove high school next fall., and an article from the Celina Record back in January of 2022 shares that, within the next decade, the district is expecting to have to add THREE more high schools, 5-6 middle schools, and 14-15 more elementary schools.

That's ENORMOUS growth. 94 mil for football stadium justified? Probably not, but at any rate, it's going to get used.

and an article from the Celina Record back in January of 2022 shares that, within the next decade, the district is expecting to have to add THREE more high schools, 5-6 middle schools, and 14-15 more elementary schools.

One of the reasons my daughter left Celina HS at the end of the 2022-2023 school year for OKC. Money was great for a Life Sciences teacher, she liked her job. But they still couldn't afford to buy one of the $600,000 houses they are building thousands of as I type. Or, I should say both her and her husbands salaries would have been pretty well eaten up by house payments, taxes and insurance. Not a lot left for the rest of life.

Not too long after Tarleton State University went to Division 1 Athletics I think now three years ago, they informed the Stephenville ISD they could not renew the contract for use of Memorial stadium for home HS football games, which expires at the end of 2024. It's been the SISD home stadium since it was built in the 1940's.
Building of new west side home stands, including suites in anticipation of going D1 raised capacity to 15,000, then somehow I've read 17,000. Funding approved by the state legislature and the A & M System. Now with new north endzone tall and steep student seating it's up to 24,000. TSU now needs the stadium the day/night before to prepare for a Saturday game. Texan Alley, RV parking, more. I've also read other D1 schools frown on such, and, that the NCAA requires "exclusive use".

By May 2022 the SISD came up with a $50,000,000 bond proposal for a new stadium. With property taxes already going through the roof, out of a total of 2948 voters it lost by 260 votes. It seemed the Yellowjackets would be homeless. in 2025. Or renting Dublin's nice new 5000 seat stadium, a bit beneath them in some's opinions, but which they have already done.

So, the SISD came up with a new proposal for an 8,000-seat stadium for $39. 9 million. Not $40 million, $39.9. Support in the paper from numerous local luminaries. Placards by Tractor Supply and all over town declaring "This is Not a tax increase". Near the vote the paper said it Would be a tax increase. With this time 7609 voters it passed by 147.
Now, with appraisals still up, the city council passed the highest rate legally allowed. After the state legislature passed bills to increase state school funding specifically to reduce property taxes.
I have a Dublin address less than two miles outside the Stephenville city limits, eight miles from Dublin. But I'm in the SISD, which already had a higher tax rate than Dublin. No other city services provided, water, sewer, trash, etc.
Sorry to rant. Off my soapbox.

Back