Explosion in West

11D132FC-FF90-4C4E-BF01-CC5245CB6006-2366-0000019B19710913_zps95f40b28.jpg

facebook

Four blocks around blown away/windows blown out. Nursing home nearby. Evacuating town - another tank might explode, air unsafe to breathe from chemicals. 60-70 Passed.

The wind is blowing the smoke towards Abbott, Hillsboro, and Aquilla. We were told to stay inside. Abbott, Aquilla, and Gholson have all opened their gyms to the displaced residents of West. All three towns have members of their VFD in West.

My house is approximately 8 miles from West, and I had things fall from shelves when the explosion happened.
They are estimating 60-70 dead, but a friend that lives in West said he expects a death total of 200-300.

I do not know if it will get down there from where I am located, but I will be donating blood (I think for the first time in my life) and would suggest other do the same over the next week.

Working last night and our special operations team was put on standby but we were not deployed. Spoke to a few medic friends that are down there this am and they told me that it is unreal. Unbelievable devastation. Not sure on injury numbers.

We delivered a truck and trailer load of clothes and furniture to the folks in West today. These folks are gonna need lots of help, lets Git Er Done

I see from reports in the papers the last couple days that some of the deceased firefighters were from the Abbott VFD as well as the West VFD. Not only do they have the loss of life -- obviously the most irreplacable and tragic of the fire and explosion -- but much of their departments' equipment, including fire trucks and ambulances, were destroyed.

God rest these brave men ... doing jobs they volunteered to to ... and comfort their family, friends, and communities.

You know, I've ragged on the Longhorn Network before, but I will hand it to them .... I just listened to the end of the ceremony honoring the firefighters who died (from Baylor's Ferrell Center, by the way) ... not on CNN, FNC, or MSNBC.

But the Longhorn Network.

Kudos to them.

Back