Dowdy High School Football 1941

SixerFixer

Six-man observer
Picture of my Great-Grandaddy's sixman football team. Dowdy High School, 1941

When driving from Seguin toward Gonzales on US 90A, you can reach this TX historical marker two ways. As is typical to see, there is a brown sign at about a mile before you get to the junction with US 90A and FM 212/Dowdy Rd that informs there is a historical marker in 1 mile. However, about a mile farther, you will see not the marker but a second brown informational sign saying "historical marker" with an arrow pointing toward FM212/Dowdy Rd. Turn onto FM 212/Dowdy Rd ... but wait! there is more. Around a bend in FM 212/Dowdy Rd is a third brown informational sign saying there is a historical marker 2.7 miles ahead! Stay on FM 212/Dowdy Rd through the curves and turns and in about 2.7 miles you will come to the stone monument in which this marker is found.

The alternative path is to pass by the second sign and continue on US 90A until you come to the junction with FM 1150. Turn onto FM1150 and drive until it reaches the junction with FM 212. Turn onto FM 212/Dowdy Rd. and drive about 0.5 mile to where the marker is found.

Either way you go, it will be a pleasant drive through the pastoral landscape. Both ways are enjoyable.

The topic of the marker is self explanatory. It is telling about a school that had been built and started in 1916, had grown in number of students due to an oil boom, and then declined until 1951 when it consolidated into the Seguin school system. Such is Life.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1669243780703.jpg
    FB_IMG_1669243780703.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 19
  • dda6f950-66eb-4bda-8841-6f851c274fee_d.jpg
    dda6f950-66eb-4bda-8841-6f851c274fee_d.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 19
Picture of my Great-Grandaddy's sixman football team. Dowdy High School, 1941

When driving from Seguin toward Gonzales on US 90A, you can reach this TX historical marker two ways. As is typical to see, there is a brown sign at about a mile before you get to the junction with US 90A and FM 212/Dowdy Rd that informs there is a historical marker in 1 mile. However, about a mile farther, you will see not the marker but a second brown informational sign saying "historical marker" with an arrow pointing toward FM212/Dowdy Rd. Turn onto FM 212/Dowdy Rd ... but wait! there is more. Around a bend in FM 212/Dowdy Rd is a third brown informational sign saying there is a historical marker 2.7 miles ahead! Stay on FM 212/Dowdy Rd through the curves and turns and in about 2.7 miles you will come to the stone monument in which this marker is found.

The alternative path is to pass by the second sign and continue on US 90A until you come to the junction with FM 1150. Turn onto FM1150 and drive until it reaches the junction with FM 212. Turn onto FM 212/Dowdy Rd. and drive about 0.5 mile to where the marker is found.

Either way you go, it will be a pleasant drive through the pastoral landscape. Both ways are enjoyable.

The topic of the marker is self explanatory. It is telling about a school that had been built and started in 1916, had grown in number of students due to an oil boom, and then declined until 1951 when it consolidated into the Seguin school system. Such is Life.
Do you know how far from Kingsbury that is. I'd like to check it out next time I'm in the area. I have kinfolk in Kingsbiry.

Back