Donkey Basketball in Throckmorton

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
OK, I was at the store and bought the latest copy of Texas Monthly. The cover story is about 68 Awesome things to do with your kids... listed in these items is Donkey Basketball in Throckmorton... says it was started again last year after a long hiatus.

C'mon Greyhounds let us know the dates and details!

The last time I saw a donkey basketball game I was in the 4th grade. That is a long hiatus......I wonder where they found the trained donkeys?

Probably the bunch out of Okie land. This guy had a crew of donkeys and went around and put on donkey basketball games, at least a few (well more than a few) years back. Silverton put on a couple as a money raiser for Ag department. They are funny, but there were also some causalties. My Donkey was named Darth Vader and he was a mean sum buck. Ha

The last donkey basketball game that I was involved in, a friend who also has rode horses all of his life, decided that he would take the rough one. "That _____ donkey won't throw me!" Yea, he made it most of the night without being thrown. The donkey won in the end, broken collarbone.

While in college I was involved with a donkey softball game. The ground is much softer than a gym and everyone was thrown. That guy would blow his little whistle and several donkeys would breck into at once.

Donkey basketball has been around since about a week after Dr. Naimsmith nailed peach baskets to the wall ... I remember going to a game at my old high school in Wisconsin back in the 1970's.

There was a group that would haul the donkeys around from town to town and organize some of the locals (ie, cops vs. firemen) to play in games for local charities.

Back