Does anyone know someone that knows something :)

CT6MFL

11-man fan
Does anyone, know somebody that graduated from Jonesboro or Evant back in the 40s?

Ive been looking for the mascot for Ireland high school for 6 months and can't find anything. There school closed before news papers could cover them.

My niece may know something.......... her dad accumulated a lot of history in that area. I'll check with her in a few days and see ......

I used to know somebody who knew something, then they got old and forgot what they knew.
Sounds like me. haha

The Cameron Harold is starting to show up on-line now from about 1956 going forward. I was able to get some things today on Buckholts, but not Ireland.

I know that Sharp were the Mustangs now. Not sure if anyone knew, it wasn't listed on LSFN. Along with alot of coaches names.

Probably already have this;
Ireland School, Site of the (demolished)

School classes were first conducted in a church tabernacle when Ireland was founded in 1911. The town was platted on the Coryell-Hamilton County line and named for Texas Governor John Ireland (1827-1896). A wooden frame school was erected in 1914, and in 1921 five acres were purchased at this site for a new two-story brick school building. Peak enrollment occurred in 1940 when thirty students graduated. All grades were taught here until 1943 when high school classes moved to the Jonesboro and Evant Schools. This school closed in 1964, and the building was demolished in 1984.

Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.

Thats pretty sweet Smokey Joe.

I got this in my inbox from centexfan7
I love a challenge so i got to work on this right away. I talked to the head genealogist of Coryell county this afternoon. She has written up several articles on Ireland, TX. She does not remember the school's mascot or colors. However, she did say there was some old clippings from the Ireland school paper called the "Ireland Static" at the Gatevilles Public Library. She said they are located in a vertical file box in the old archive part of the library. I am live in Waco, so I won't be able to follow up on that.

I hope this helps some. Please let us all know if you find it. I will continue to search and ask around.

P.S. I found a lady whose mom graduated from Ireland High School, she is supposed to call me back with more information. I'll let you know if she does.

I also found some articles on Ireland from Gatesville that im not sure if anyone has seen. Ill see if I can post them on here.
I'm off Thanksgiving week so I think I will head to Gatesville again that monday.

A friend of mine spoke to a 91 year old Ireland alumni regarding Ireland's school colors and mascot. She said the school colors were green and white and they were the tigers. The lady stated she still had her letter jacket. Hope this helps.

In 2010 I tried my best while working on stuff for the Bob Bullock Museum exhibit on High School Football to track down Ghost schools that were not listed on lsfn as well as the schools that were but didnt have school colors or mascots. I was able to find out quite a lot considering...dont think I ever found out Ireland's...I had the best luck if the town I was looking for still had a post office...I just called the post office told the Post Master what I was doing and asked if they knew anyone still around that would know that kind of info...

Worked like a charm!

Back