D3 Finals

Headed down to the field for the final score ... John Rabon and I built the Lifegate program starting in 2003 ... our first playoff loss was in 2003 to Happy Hill (now NCTA) by 88-6.

Happy to see Coach Rabon go out on top. A bunch of us will have to start planning a retirement party/roast/tribute for him this spring.

The drive back to Seguin from Austin south was a bear ... snow and treacherous driving. Heck, I don't think I got over 45 on Tollway 130 (85 mph speed limit). I think it's probably the first time I never cracked 90 on that road (just kidding, if you happen to be a state trooper)!

From the Sunday edition of the Seguin Gazette online (subscribers didn't receive this section of the paper because the press in New Braunfels forgot to bring them to the Seguin paper for delivery. We'll see it on Tuesday as they don't publish on Saturday or Monday).

http://seguingazette.com/sports/article ... 5543d.html

Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 8:14 am
Priscilla Aguirre [email protected] | 0 comments

From being knocked out of the playoffs for the past five years to losing seven seniors from their previous season, the Lifegate Christian Falcons expected for some to doubt them this year.

But with a mindset to win it all, the Falcons defeated every opposing team in the playoffs and finally made it to a state game after making their first appearance back in 2012.

Despite the cold, windy day, Lifegate (9-3) weathered the storm and mercy-ruled the Granbury North-Central Academy Pioneers (7-5) 90-40 in the TAPPS Six-Man Division III state championship game on Thursday at Midway’s ISD Panther Stadium in Hewitt, earning their second state title.

“In the beginning of the season, we all had our moments. We thought ‘Oh, no. We don’t have our seniors from last year’ and ‘What are we going to do?’ and then we went further than they did,” senior spread-back Cayden Shelnutt said. “We wish it was with them, but we are also happy for ourselves and for the team that is here now … all four years of my high school we’ve always pushed for state, but I think this is the first year our mentality the entire season was focused to come to this game. We knew where we wanted to go and what we had to do. We wanted to win state and we did that this year.”

Not only did the Falcons take home the trophy, but the team also sent off their retiring head coach, John Rabon, in style.

Out of his 47 years of coaching, Rabon spent his last 15 years as a head coach for Falcon football. At Lifegate, Rabon led his team to the playoffs all but two years, made it to the semi-finals four times and leaves the program with two state titles.

“I felt that if I go out, I might as well go out on top,” Rabon laughed. “But really I just feel blessed. For the last 15 years, I’ve worked with a lot of great young men. It has been my pleasure and it’s my joy, and it’s what has kept me going for so long. This is a completion of 47 years and I’ve received more than I’ve given. This win feels great, but it all goes to this team. They played hard in this game and never gave up.”

Against the Pioneers, Lifegate’s offense scored 11 touchdowns on just 13 possessions and put up 573 yards (155 passing, 418 passing). Shelnutt ended his last game on top by engineering seven touchdowns. He passed for 155 yards and one touchdown and rushed for 317 yards and six touchdowns on 20 carries, helping the Falcons mercy-rule their opponent.

“It was just amazing,” Shelnutt said. “It’s something you can’t describe. We 45 the other team in the state game and my whole team has never done this before, so everybody is just in awe right now. We are so excited and we just can’t explain it. It’s just one of those things that you are just so happy and excited for.”

In the game, sophomore wide receiver Myles McCord fumbled the ball twice, but made up for it by rushing for 56 yards and three scores on nine carries. Senior offensive lineman Bodie Netherlain caught the only touchdown pass for the Falcons and senior center and running back Barry Osborne, rushed for 45 yards and one touchdown on six carries.

Although the offense was high-scoring, it was the defense that really turned the game around. McCord, Shelnutt and sophomore wide receiver/defensive back David Brewer all recovered fumbles and freshman wide receiver/defensive back Quinten Shelnutt also recovered a fumble and returned it 57 yards for a touchdown. McCord and Shelnutt both had 16 tackles out of the team’s 52 and three blocked field goal attempts (McCord with two, Shelnutt with one).

“It was all defense,” Shelnutt said. “In the beginning of the game, our defense was a little rocky, but I think it was nerves and the cold weather — since this is the coldest weather we have ever played in … The forced fumbles, the bad passes that we made them throw and the hard-hitting we gave them is the reason we won. We hit them hard and I don’t think they were ready for it.”

In the first quarter, it was a shaking start for the Lifegate’s defense. When the Falcons scored, the Pioneers answered. Neither team’s defense stopped the other from reaching the end zone, becoming a back-and-forth shootout.

“Our offense was doing great in the beginning and were pretty consistent throughout the game,” Netherlain said. “But our defense was a little weak in the first quarter. But we knew if we wanted to win we had to start creating turnovers and shut them down.”

In the second quarter, the defense stepped up. Shelnut forced a fumble, McCord deflected a fourth-down touchdown pass and the Pioneers only made one score. Lifegate finished in the lead at halftime 46-28.

“In the first half, they hurt us with some passes and we made adjustments,” Rabon said. “We just kept running our offense and we were patient. Then we got a couple of turnovers and some great blocks, so that really turned it around for us.”

The Falcons dominated the second half as they allowed Granbury to make only two touchdowns.

Meanwhile, Lifegate continued to extend their lead to eventually 45 the Pioneers with 2:19 left in the fourth quarter.

When the referees blew the final whistle, Lifegate jumped with joy, hugged each other and their coaches while their fans cheered them on.

“This feeling is just amazing,” Osborne said. “We’ve been working hard for this all season. I mean it’s just something that is a once in a lifetime experience. I’m proud of my team and so proud of the coaching staff … We had a dream to make it farther than we’ve had in the past few years and we did. Once we got here we said that the dream isn’t over, we still got one more thing to do and that was to win state and we did it.”

Three Falcon players, Shelnutt, Osborne and Netherlain, played their last game on Thursday. All agreed that they will miss Falcon football but know they are leaving it in good hands.

“It’s going to be a learning experience for them,” Shelnutt said. “But I feel that them going off of this win is going to give them that extra energy to do it again next year. They are going to stay focused and give it all they have. Even though there will be no seniors next year, I still feel like it’s going to be a good team.”
McCord will start as the spread-back next year and will lead a team filled with juniors and sophomores.

Earlier this season, McCord said he was ready to take on the challenge, but is still nervous to fill the role.
“Cayden played a pretty decent spread-back and was really our go-to guy,” McCord said. “Knowing that I have to fill that spot is a lot of pressure, but I also feel honored to be that guy.”

Rabon also had his last game as he plans to retire. There is no news of the new head coach, but Rabon feels that the team will be OK and will go just as far next year.

“It’s hard not to do what you’ve been doing for most of your life,” Rabon said. “But at the same time, it’s time for me to move on and start another chapter. I’ve had a good time and hold onto a lot of good memories … I don’t know who the new head coach will be, but this is a good program so I think they will find someone quick. When you go to the state championship game and you play, it gives you more game experience. I think they will be fine and might make another run.”

Back